News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hoped DLC for EUIV and CK2?

Started by Queequeg, October 20, 2013, 03:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Seems to warrant it's own thread.

CK2 has now a wealth of DLC that I think there's an increasingly limited number of future options, but here's some things I would like to see and have been discussed on the forum:
India, Khorasan, Central Asia
Complex migration models
More plots, justice system
Buddhism, Hinduism
I'd like to see an expanded trade and river system, that would if anything be my top priority.

EUIV is new and a lot more open because it's still pretty new.
Religious and ethnic minorities
Way more complicated, developed political model for Constitutional Monarchies and Republics
Some kind of limited, complex inheritance and dynastic system.  I'd like to see a model that could get to something like the Burgundian Inheritance and the War of the Spanish Succession
I'd like to see something that could tweek province base income; it's kind of silly that in my Dutch game Amsterdam and Antwerp were the center of almost all European and Asian trade but somehow was still less inherently wealthy than a Bohemia that was constantly fought over by a half-dozen powers.  You could probably combine this with ethnic-religious minorities in a general complex province population system.

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Zanza

CK2:
More mechanics for the Holy Roman Empire and Papacy
Trade and navies would be interesting
Crusades that actually work and result in crusader states, not a far-flung part of France
More events/plots etc. are always welcome of course. That could include stuff like justice, the role of Jews or Moors in Christian courts, interaction with trade republics etc.
A fixed decadence mechanic

Don't care one bit for adding more of Asia or new religions as I never play in that region anyway etc.

EU4:
More dynamic trade system. The general idea is great, but it should be possible to reroute trade etc.
More interesting colonial game with more native interaction and less of the world colonized by 1600 than now
A simple dynastic system would be very interesting indeed although there is a bit of that in the game already. You can have succession wars and inheritances of whole realms, but it could be more open and not just in some tool-tip that you rarely check

Josquius

EU4 needs dynamic trade nodes. That trade from North America will always go through London even if England is some balkanised back water is stupid.

Some kind of CK2isation of rulers could be nice too. Not to the extent of trying to find the right wife for your third son and all that but at the least it shouldn't just be totally random whether an heir appears or not. Would be nice if you could play Henry VIII a bit and wonder whether to risk pissing off your wife's folks for the sake of an heir.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Zanza on October 21, 2013, 01:23:02 AM
A simple dynastic system would be very interesting indeed although there is a bit of that in the game already. You can have succession wars and inheritances of whole realms, but it could be more open and not just in some tool-tip that you rarely check

I hope they do something to inheritance before a DLC, in my current game Austria inherited first Burgundy, then Aragon, Sweden, Lithuania and currently stands to inherit Poland. All, except the Burgundy one, was without any events or drama and in less than a century.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Quote from: Liep on October 21, 2013, 09:28:32 AM
Quote from: Zanza on October 21, 2013, 01:23:02 AM

I hope they do something to inheritance before a DLC, in my current game Austria inherited first Burgundy, then Aragon, Sweden, Lithuania and currently stands to inherit Poland. All, except the Burgundy one, was without any events or drama and in less than a century.

Yeah, I think they could stand to amp up concern around inheritances/integration and pump up succession wars.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

To be fair, Austria did inherit Burgundy, Bohemia, Hungary and arguably Spain in the game timeframe within less than a century. However, the Spanish and Austrian succession wars also happened in the timeframe and I am sure there were others as well. Other countries should go into coalitions against those inheritance though and trigger succession wars.

Drakken

I highly suspect the raiding mechanics in TOG for CK2 will either make a comeback, or at least inspire privateering mechanics in a Pirates and Privateers DLC for EU4. In fact, the raid mechanic in CK2 is perfect to simulate privateers and corsairs in EU4.

Also :

1) Possibility in late game to ask per-month reparations paid in peace treaties, rather than lump sums.
2) Return with a bit of rework of Trade Agreements, including a possibility to include them in peace treaties.
3) Ceding Trade Power lasting only the time of a truce makes no sense. It should last until the giving power decides it ceases helping you.
4) Vassals and PUs' trade power should go in part to the domineering power so that it helps its trade, rather than steal from it.
5) Exchanging peace deals, allowing compensations for territorial losses. Also, in late game it should be easier to reclaim or exchange large parcels of land (like Naples or Venezia-Lombardy, which were exchanged back and forth in treaties).
6) Trading posts, colonial protectorates, and low-grade, limited colonial wars. I shouldn't have to invade Lisboa to gain a parcel of Brazil from Portugal.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Drakken on October 21, 2013, 11:34:26 AM
6) Trading posts, colonial protectorates, and low-grade, limited colonial wars. I shouldn't have to invade Lisboa to gain a parcel of Brazil from Portugal.

Agreed, this was an aspect of Vicky that I hoped would make it into EU4.  But my biggest complaint is the fixed trade routes.  Trade centres with large amounts of trade power compared to other trade centres should be able to attract trade rather than pass trade onto weaker trading centres.

Zanza

Quote from: Drakken on October 21, 2013, 11:34:26 AM
I highly suspect the raiding mechanics in TOG for CK2 will either make a comeback, or at least inspire privateering mechanics in a Pirates and Privateers DLC for EU4. In fact, the raid mechanic in CK2 is perfect to simulate privateers and corsairs in EU4.
Disagree. It works okay when you have 1000 Vikings raiding three provinces in England. It doesn't work at all if I have to coordinate a raid or two in the Caribbean, another one in the Spice islands and a fight a war in Continental Europe. Privateers should be abstracted - as they are now.

Liep

Quote from: Zanza on October 21, 2013, 11:33:39 AM
To be fair, Austria did inherit Burgundy, Bohemia, Hungary and arguably Spain in the game timeframe within less than a century. However, the Spanish and Austrian succession wars also happened in the timeframe and I am sure there were others as well. Other countries should go into coalitions against those inheritance though and trigger succession wars.
Yes, but, Bohemia and Hungary were close by and had rebellions, and Spain turned out to be quite the mouthful. My annoyance with the inheritances in my game is that the countries were far away and gave instant cores to Austria with no rebels.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Zanza

The question is whether Bohemia or Hungary were really ever inherited by Austria or whether it was just a very long-lasting personal union. Both were still around as legal entities I think. The Archduke just happened to also be King of Hungary and King of Bohemia.

Queequeg

Joseph II's rule was pretty absolute, but before that all the Hapsburg unions were closer to a shitton of PUs than annexations. Should be some kind of more complicated government model. I'd like to see Estate conflict tbh.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Some kind of game version of state centralization more than a slider would be super awesome. Thomas Cromwell :wub:

Queequeg

So you'd get stuff like the shitty Ottoman sanjak's and pashaliks and tax farming when compared to centralized states like Russia or England.

Josquius

Quote from: Zanza on October 21, 2013, 11:33:39 AM
The trouble is this wasn't really representative of the time and it wasn't for all time; Charles V found it quite impossible to govern so much.
In the game there isn't a big penalty for having such an empire if it is cored.
It was also down to succesful playing of CK2 rather than of EU4 (trying to equate games to reality) and blind luck. Having such a blind luck element in a game like this....it sits uneasy.

Some things that could perhaps help:
* having 'provincial governments', and better yet 'local governments' covering many provinces. So you're Castille and you take over Aragon? You can't just rule it as if it was Castille right away, that should take a while, in the meantime you have the cortez to somewhat hobble you.
* having a strong distance from capital modifier that really hurts you in governing far away provinces. It is boosted greatly by not having a solid sea connection to the province and having to cross hostile lands to get there. This of course should be primarily within Europe, for colonies it could maybe exist but be a lot weaker.
Handling this in game...would be a difficult task. Though it could maybe be done to a small extent with some nice little province modifiers for local government which can be changed with admin actions.
██████
██████
██████