France far-right candidate compares justice minister to monkey

Started by Savonarola, October 18, 2013, 09:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Malthus on October 18, 2013, 01:36:14 PM
They are supposed to be law reporters, which come in huge matched sets. Our firm library has many of those, but stored on roller shelving.

These days, I assume sole pratitioners having them is a bit of an affectation; I imagine most would not bother, and just look up cases online.

Pretty much what I was told in my paralegal classes.  There might be a Black's Law Dictionary in there too, though.  Most attorneys in the US nowadays are going to just subscribe to LexusNexus or WestLaw's online archives instead of paying for new editions, and they just keep the ones they have for citing older cases.
Experience bij!

Duque de Bragança

French political debate is degrading. :( The other day a PS MP aide called Marion-Maréchale Le Pen a "cunt and a bitch". :(
He has not been fired, unlike this FN candidate
As for Taubira, she's infamous for its angelism as Justice minister and for PC historical laws about the slave trade. Only a crime against humanity when done by whites, inter-african and oriental slave trade need not apply, so it's not like there's nothing to criticise.

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 21, 2013, 08:36:46 AM
As for Taubira, she's infamous for its angelism as Justice minister and for PC historical laws about the slave trade. Only a crime against humanity when done by whites, inter-african and oriental slave trade need not apply, so it's not like there's nothing to criticise.

Well that sure makes it easy considering France has not done any international slave trading since 1835.  A firm uncompromising stand against people dead for 150 years or so is pretty easy to make.

If she took a stand against slavery in general then there are actually people around to oppose which is scary and stuff.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 21, 2013, 08:23:48 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 18, 2013, 01:36:14 PM
They are supposed to be law reporters, which come in huge matched sets. Our firm library has many of those, but stored on roller shelving.

These days, I assume sole pratitioners having them is a bit of an affectation; I imagine most would not bother, and just look up cases online.

Pretty much what I was told in my paralegal classes.  There might be a Black's Law Dictionary in there too, though.  Most attorneys in the US nowadays are going to just subscribe to LexusNexus or WestLaw's online archives instead of paying for new editions, and they just keep the ones they have for citing older cases.

Our firm has some law reporters that are pretty antique, dating back to the 19th century. Still occasionally referenced.

Just for shits and giggles, I went to check - the oldest reporter we have is the High Court of Admiralty & Ecclesiastical Courts reporter (Vol. 1), published in 1867. We have a reprint entitled the English Reports, printed in 1900, that collects much earlier cases - the earliest being Dominus Rex v. Viscount Purbeck, 1677 - about whether a Viscountship can be surrendered to the Crown. Not an issue that arises much these days.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on October 21, 2013, 08:59:32 AM
Our firm has some law reporters that are pretty antique, dating back to the 19th century. Still occasionally referenced.

Just for shits and giggles, I went to check - the oldest reporter we have is the High Court of Admiralty & Ecclesiastical Courts reporter (Vol. 1), published in 1867. We have a reprint entitled the English Reports, printed in 1900, that collects much earlier cases - the earliest being Dominus Rex v. Viscount Purbeck, 1677 - about whether a Viscountship can be surrendered to the Crown. Not an issue that arises much these days.  :hmm:

Well it is comforting to know you have the resources on hand if it does.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 21, 2013, 09:11:23 AM

;)

Somebody has to know.

Just for further shits and giggles - the first case in the 1867 reporter was about a blocade-runner suing somebody after their ship failed to run the Union blockade in the Civil War.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Malthus on October 21, 2013, 09:15:55 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 21, 2013, 09:11:23 AM

;)

Somebody has to know.

Just for further shits and giggles - the first case in the 1867 reporter was about a blocade-runner suing somebody after their ship failed to run the Union blockade in the Civil War.  ;)

Getting rid of a peerage (a viscountcy as it happens) became a big deal in the UK back in the 1960s when Viscount Stansgate needed to get rid of it so that he could sit in the Commons. He succeeded in getting the law changed, got rid of his peerage and soon became an MP, now Tony Benn............arch-lefty, terror of the propertied classes and, almost uniquely for a British politician, liked by most. Very elderly and retired now of course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Benn

Sheilbh

He's liked by most because he's now very old and rather avuncular.

When he was a young man with ambition he was hated by the Tories and really, really loathed by moderate Labourites too.

Though I saw a thing by Hopi Sen during the 'reshuffle for hard-working families' in which he proposed a 'reshuffle for the indolent' led by Ken Clarke as PM. It was striking how much more widely popular the lazy politicians were :lol:

Edit: Also, assuming Benn's still making public appearances, it'll be interesting to see him joint-campaign with, say, Nigel Farage to leave the EU :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Well, there you go. You never know when a case from 1677 may come in handy.  :)

As young articling students, a group of us had a contest to see who could work the most ancient citation in to a bit of paying business, in a manner that was not overly contrived (that is, it was actually a useful cite for some reason). I was the front-runner for a while with a cite mentioning the Magna Carta (in a reference dealing with reform of the laws dealing with financial guardianship), but I lost out ... I can't remember what cite won, but I think it was a cite to the Code of Justinian.  :lol:

[Cites to the religious texts were disqualified]

Valmy

'To prove my client's innocence might I bring the court's attention to Lex IV on the second of the Twelve Tables'