News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What would you call a German-only Internet?

Started by Brazen, November 15, 2013, 10:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Why, Internetz, of course! Somewhat under-reported, this one.

The US has the right to spy on any data held "on US soil", and American mega-servers must account for a hefty proportion of all data accessed online worldwide. Interesting the UK government is also using only UK based servers for its G-Cloud cloud computing programme.

QuoteThe news that the National Security Agency has its eye on much of the world's electronic communications has shocked Germans, who have memories of Nazi and Cold War-era spying. Now, an alliance of German phone and Internet companies claims it has a solution: German e-mail and Internet transmitted within German borders.

The proposals — one for Internet, one for e-mail — aim to boost the security of Germany's internal communications by preventing them from bouncing outside the country, which has far stricter privacy regulations than the United States. If a German customer wants to call up a German Web site, there is no reason that the data must pass through a server in Virginia, exposing the information to potential surveillance, advocates say. The same goes for e-mails within Germany.
<snip>
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/germany-looks-at-keeping-its-internet-e-mail-traffic-inside-its-borders/2013/10/31/981104fe-424f-11e3-a751-f032898f2dbc_story.html

Grey Fox

About time the Rest of the World came to that realization.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

:hmm:

QuoteSome security professionals say the efforts are little more than a marketing gimmick, since Germans would still want to surf American Web pages — Facebook, anyone? — and the nation's plans wouldn't make doing so any more secure. The NSA could also still theoretically access German data on German soil, as could Germany's intelligence agencies.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

Viking

on the one hand german only internet - on the other hand cat videos lagging

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

A German internet would certainly make it easier for them to enforce their ridiculous laws.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive