News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What if in heaven...

Started by merithyn, October 16, 2013, 08:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

:( We only went to Episcopalian (Anglican) church as kids.

The sermons were mostly like:
Ok, people should do good things, and remember to do them to other people.
It is nice when folks are nice, mmmkay?
Gosh, doesn't all this stuff make you feel good.
Jesus was ok, he liked us all.  Even the people who you might not like.
Amen.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DontSayBanana

As a staunch atheist... that there actually is a heaven.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

Actually the concept of heaven scares me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

Quote from: merithyn on October 16, 2013, 08:35:23 AM

For me, it would completely suck if I found out that Catholics had it mostly right, and because I didn't stick to that path, I'm now going somewhere not so pleasant as heaven.

But we do, so it's a moot point. Sorry. :(
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Iormlund on October 16, 2013, 12:33:50 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 16, 2013, 12:14:53 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2013, 11:54:28 AM
Heaven sounds pretty dull.

I guess I don't think of heaven in the same way as Valmy and you seem to. It's not, to me, playing harps while sitting on clouds. Rather, it's a place of absolute knowledge and joy, however you may see that.

Absolute knowledge sounds awful. Spending eternity without anything new to learn seems boring to the extreme.

I don't think that in heaven you become omniscient - that you automatically know all things.

Rather, think of it as... in heaven it becomes possible to know anything you want.  You're curious what happened behind the grassy knoll in Dallas?  You can go and 'research' and find out.  You want to know what the ancient hittites were really like?  You can go ask one.

I, of course, have no idea what heaven is really like.  But I can certainly imagine a place where I could enjoy spending all of eternity in.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Razgovory on October 16, 2013, 08:52:20 PM
Actually the concept of heaven scares me.

I wouldn't say it scares me, per se, but I would definitely say I find the concept anathema.  I'm far too individualistic for it to hold any appeal whatsoever.
Experience bij!

Neil

The problem with heaven is that it means that all the evil things that men have ever done in its name were justified.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on October 16, 2013, 10:50:09 PM
The problem with heaven is that it means that all the evil things that men have ever done in its name were justified.

I don't see how that follows.

Neil

Assuming that they got there and they were right about the difficulty of getting there.

Myself, I just don't believe in those sorts of things.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on October 16, 2013, 11:02:56 PM
Assuming that they got there and they were right about the difficulty of getting there.

Those are fairly big assumptions.

Me - I find there's no downside to believing in heaven, and some sense of psychic upside.  So I choose to believe.  If I'm wrong, you can all laugh at my corpse, but I guess I won't care at that point.

Neil

You really won't.  And, in fact, belief in a heaven that you have to earn is good for society.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

An eternity would get very boring eventually, I would have to assume.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.