Main Menu

The recipe thread

Started by Pedrito, November 23, 2009, 09:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2012, 06:58:02 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 18, 2012, 06:56:53 PM
Needs beans. And ketchup.  :P
I've got pinto beans soaking right now, but they'll be served on the side of course.  Also, you can go to hell for the ketchup comment. :mad:

:lol:

I don't put ketchup in mine either.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

I thought for Texas chili you were supposed to use like shredded beef, not cubed.

PDH

All I know is that if you do chili wrong, Valmy will hunt you down and shoot you.  Texas style.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

I have finally perfected my hamburger recipe.

Take a pound and a half of lean ground beef (bison is better if you can find it).

Mix in a handful of freash parsley, chopped, stems and all.
Half cup of bread crumbs.
table spoon dijon mustard
about the same amount of feta cheese as parsley, crumbled
teaspoon or so red pepper flakes
several shakes worcestshire sauce
salt and pepper

Form into patties, chill before cooking.

:thumbsup:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Beeb, I've made burgers almost exactly like that except I used goat cheese instead of feta. :mmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 18, 2012, 08:37:21 PM
I thought for Texas chili you were supposed to use like shredded beef, not cubed.
Never heard of it done that way. :hmm:

Darth Wagtaros

Get a mini muffin tin and turn it upside down, then place in a larger cookie sheet to catch the fat meltoff. Spray it with PAM and then wrap a piece of bacon around each inverted muffin area, to mkae a cup. Slow cook in the oven until it is nice and crisp. 

Make some garlic mashed potatoes and chop up some chives.  Put a spoonful of potatoes in each bacon cup and then cover with chives and cheese.  Reheat to melt cheese.  Consume with booze.

You can do something similar with mac and cheese.  It is even better. Especially if you make the roux for the mac and cheese using equal parts bacon grease and butter.
PDH!

Caliga

That chili recipe I posted earlier:  just made it and am eating it now.  It's definitely the best chili I've ever made. :cool:

It seems that toasting and then grinding dried peppers up makes an enormous difference vs. using chili powder.  Also, I like the texture better with cubed chuck roast vs. ground beef.

viper37

Something I tried this week-end, and it was simply delicious:

Veal mignons d'Arthabaska

Ingredients
2 (10 oz /300 g each) veal filet mignons (cut from the tenderloin)   
12 thin slices bacon   
12 thin slices Canadian Sir Laurier d'Arthabaska cheese*   
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Sauce:
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 carrot, diced
1 onion, chopped
1 cup (250 g) veal stock   
2 tbsp (30 mL) butter   
4 tbsp (60 mL) olive oil   

Preparation

Trim the veal tenderloin, reserving trimmings for the sauce. Cut each fillet into 6 noisettes. Wrap each one in a slice of bacon.

To prepare the sauce, heat the oil in a saucepan. Over a gentle heat, brown the carrot, onion, garlic, shallot and veal trimmings for 5 minutes. Moisten with the veal stock and 1 cup of water (250 mL). Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes.

Preheat the grill.

Strain the sauce through a sieve back into the saucepan. Adjust the seasoning if necessary and, over a gentle heat, reduce until the sauce is a syrupy consistency. Fry the veal in a frying pan in 1/3 of the butter until the bacon is crispy but the meat is still tender. Season. Place a slice of Canadian Sir Laurier d'Arthabaska cheese on each noisette and melt under the grill for about 2 minutes.

When you are ready to serve the veal, whisk remaining butter into the sauce over a low heat. Serve the veal noisettes on hot plates with roast new potatoes and a few mesclun leaves. Pour sauce around veal noisettes and serve very hot.

Instead of the veal, you can use any filet mignon, beef, bison, moose, whatever you have access to.
The cheese whon't be found outside of Quebec, but you could replace it with regular soft paste cheese.  Brie could do nicely, but ideally something a little stronger, fruitier.

Also, I used pepper sauce instead of the recommended one, but that might change next time.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

sbr

Quote from: stjaba on May 29, 2012, 12:50:58 AM
Made chicken mole today for the first time. I made it for a group of 8 people and it seemed well received, though perhaps a little too spicy for a few people. I can post the recipe if anyone wants it.

I took a picture, which came out okay:

I'll ask to see the recipe again, just in case you see it this time. :)