News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Army to get rid of $5 billion pixel camo

Started by Syt, October 15, 2013, 12:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 16, 2013, 04:08:38 PM
Is there any functionality to the Navy bell bottoms?  I wouldn't mind seeing those go.

The crackerjacks would look a hell of a lot weirder with a loose top and tight bottoms. ;)
Experience bij!

Razgovory

Is there any functionality to the Navy bell bottoms?  I wouldn't mind seeing those go.

They are easy to roll up so you can climb rigging. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

lustindarkness

http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/uniform_history.htm

A bit more on the bell bottoms:

QuoteWar of 1812 to 1841

At this time bell bottoms began to appear. There is no substantive factual reason for their adoption, i.e. easier to roll up or kickoff in the water, but rather appear to be a tailored version of the pantaloon, designed for a bit of flair which set the sailor apart from his civilian counterpart. However, as federal funding began to ebb, enlisted dress was rarely standardized or enforced and sailors added their own accoutrements, such as buttons and striping as they wished.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

Oh, the NWU type III uniform I wear I have to return when no longer under a NECC command.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 16, 2013, 10:17:40 PM
Oh, the NWU type III uniform I wear I have to return when no longer under a NECC command.

So only sea duty and NECC personnel get the NWU?

grumbler

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 17, 2013, 06:00:59 AM

IDK, seems like PDH would also get them PDQ, because he'd RTFM if he were AWOL or COQ.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

lustindarkness

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 17, 2013, 06:00:59 AM

Type III is a green woodland used by expeditionary units. The blue ones are used by the fleet.

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on October 16, 2013, 06:00:29 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 15, 2013, 09:19:03 PM
Makes sense they're using standard uniform buying numbers, but that begs the question how much did the design and change over cost. I doubt it was nothing
Actually, it doesn't beg the question at all.
How?
Design does cost money. It would be interesting to know how much was actually wasted.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on October 17, 2013, 11:20:01 AM
Quote from: grumbler on October 16, 2013, 06:00:29 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 15, 2013, 09:19:03 PM
Makes sense they're using standard uniform buying numbers, but that begs the question how much did the design and change over cost. I doubt it was nothing
Actually, it doesn't beg the question at all.
How?
Design does cost money. It would be interesting to know how much was actually wasted.
You don't understand what "beg the question" actually means.  Look it up before using it again.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on October 16, 2013, 09:50:59 PM

They are easy to roll up so you can climb rigging.

They're also easier to pull off over your shoes in the water when your ship is sinking.

Ed Anger

Next: Grumbler reminisces about the loincloth he wore at Salamis.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive