News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Army to get rid of $5 billion pixel camo

Started by Syt, October 15, 2013, 12:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

I mean, Navy stuff seems totally foreign to me.  My dad was in the Air Force, I have several friends who were in the Marines, and I did my little stint as an Army ROTC cadet.  So all those uniforms seem familiar to me. 

But what's the beef with Navy uni's?  Make any big tweaks and you lose all the tradition.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Tonitrus

derspiess

Tonitrus

Nothing.  I don't mind if the Navy looks silly.  :P

Though I rarely see the sailor outfits anymore...their newer generic service uniform (kinda looks like a bastardized Marine service uniform, just different colored trousers) seems to be more common these days.

The new Navy camo is more hilarious, but still an improvement over the previous prison uniform. 

derspiess

Mind you, I'd never be caught dead dressed as a sailor...

DontSayBanana

I'm actually talking about the changes to the dress blues they made last year.  The crackerjack honestly doesn't bother me that much.
Experience bij!

Siege

Quote from: grumbler on October 15, 2013, 06:35:10 AM
Love the bullshit slant this article takes.  "Eight years after spending $5 billion on a heavily-criticized universal camouflage pattern, the Army is back at the drawing board looking for a new design that's estimated to cost another $4 billion."  Translation:  after spending the usual amount of money per year on uniforms to replace the worn-out ones, the US Army is looking to improve the design for future purposes.  The uniform design isn't estimated to cost $4 billion, but if the story is just about switching camo patterns, where is the drama and outrage?  Better for the author to lie and get the clicks.

Newsflash:  the army is always spending billions over the course of years to buy uniforms, and will for the foreseeable future.

The problem is the equipment. Everything we have in UCP pattern, bodyarmor, rucks, assault pack, camelbacks, ammo pouches, first aid kit, canteen carrier, etc, have to be made now in whatever is the new pattern.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

If a good wind blows the drying camouflage off the line and into grass or bushes do they have to wait till winter before they can find it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on October 15, 2013, 09:19:03 PM
Makes sense they're using standard uniform buying numbers, but that begs the question how much did the design and change over cost. I doubt it was nothing
Actually, it doesn't beg the question at all.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on October 16, 2013, 05:03:14 AM
The problem is the equipment. Everything we have in UCP pattern, bodyarmor, rucks, assault pack, camelbacks, ammo pouches, first aid kit, canteen carrier, etc, have to be made now in whatever is the new pattern.

Most of that is new cloth covers.  Anything actually wove would have to be replaced, natch, but that shit needs to be replaced anyway because it wears out.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

Hell, the they give my deployed guys ACU pattern flak vests and helmet covers (to go with their multicam uniforms  :wacko: )...they may be intel REMFs, but damn dude.

Admiral Yi

Is there any functionality to the Navy bell bottoms?  I wouldn't mind seeing those go.