News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving everyone!

Started by Barrister, October 14, 2013, 05:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 15, 2013, 08:40:42 PM
No dark meat for me either. Or as one of my uncles called it, the nigger meat.

My German grandfather used to get all the "vittles" from the bird in a separate bowl:  gizzard, heart, guts, all that nasty inside shit.  Not even sure if that shit was even cooked.  I avoided looking at that end of the table.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Tonitrus

Dark meat turkey is mana from the gods.  :mad:

derspiess

Already talked my wife into having roast turkey for dinner this weekend :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Grocery store had a heck of a sale on turkey on Thanksgiving - to get rid off their excess stock.  So I now have an 18 pounder defrosting in the fridge... :mmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

same here, turkey on special after Thanksgiving.  I hadn't noticed a lot before though, to be honest.  I guess this custom never really picked up around here, not enough anglos around, maybe.  Before Grey Fox comes around and contradict me: ;)

QuoteThough the holiday enjoys statutory status in Quebec, French-speaking Quebeckers do not typically consider it an important holiday and think of it as simply a day off, like Labour Day. It is common for people to take a weekend getaway to nearby tourist spots or, for those who have cottages, Thanksgiving is the last long-weekend they have to enjoy the cottage before closing it up for the winter. In any case, a festive meal with turkey and all the trimmings is customary.[7]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

I don't know what I am suppose to contradict.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 16, 2013, 07:47:49 AM
I don't know what I am suppose to contradict.
the family reunion & turkey for Thanksgiving.  Last year, you said your family had this tradition when I said we did not do such a thing in Quebec :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Oh.

Yeah, we have that tradition. We also eat Ham, not Turkey on thanksgiving.

I have no idea where it's from. It's my dad's family and they are from poor Montreal.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PRC

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2013, 06:54:09 PM
For Christmas?? :blink:

No no no.... it has to be homemade for Christmas. :contract:

Try the perogies from a church group.  They will be homemade, probably by an elderly Polish or Ukranian woman using an original recipe.  They will be cheap, homemade and incredibly delicious.

crazy canuck

Quote from: PRC on October 16, 2013, 12:51:15 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2013, 06:54:09 PM
For Christmas?? :blink:

No no no.... it has to be homemade for Christmas. :contract:

Try the perogies from a church group.  They will be homemade, probably by an elderly Polish or Ukranian woman using an original recipe.  They will be cheap, homemade and incredibly delicious.

And better than anyone could possibly make if they tried to do it themselves.  Unless of course they were an elderly Polish or Ukranian woman who has been making them for years.

merithyn

Don't think we have any of those around here. :hmm:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on October 16, 2013, 01:01:13 PM
Don't think we have any of those around here. :hmm:

Church fund raising groups are the best place to look for that sort of thing.

CountDeMoney

I just know--i just fucking know--that my mother, in her yearly orgasmic explosion of Xmas decorating, is going to ask me if I want the cat to have her own Xmas tree.