News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving everyone!

Started by Barrister, October 14, 2013, 05:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on October 16, 2019, 01:41:50 PM
Huh.  I don't think we do anything special for New Years Day.
We used to have diner at my maternal grandparents on New Years Eve, and a launch at my paternal grandparents.  As everyone got older, and my mom died, I am now cooking the New Years diner for my maternal family, and my extended/step family.

My dad wants turkey at some point during Christmas time and that's about the only time I or his girlfriend can cook that.  I keep wanting to try something else, but most of my "experiments" are left for the entrĂ©e and the soup.  I can mostly cook what I want for Mother's day, but my father is a very difficult man and does not like "fancy" food.
But New Years Day you just stay in your pajamas and relax.
That's for January 2nd :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

I am with BB on this one.  New Years Day is for sleeping in.

Grey Fox

Work on the 2? Never work before the Epiphany!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 16, 2019, 06:16:08 PM

GOA is generous and shuts down between December 25-January 1.  I get all that time off without using any holidays.

But it's all back to business on Jan 2.

Grey Fox

I have to stay with the kids until school is back on.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on October 16, 2019, 10:31:18 PM

GOA is generous and shuts down between December 25-January 1.  I get all that time off without using any holidays.

Is that paid time off!?  If so I'd better write my MLA & JK himself... the conservative approach would be to align with the private sector and take only the 25th, 26th, and the 1st off.  Maybe a half-day on the 31st.  From the 27th to the 30th though, it's back to the salt mines!

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on October 17, 2019, 10:06:19 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 16, 2019, 10:31:18 PM

Is that paid time off!?  If so I'd better write my MLA & JK himself... the conservative approach would be to align with the private sector and take only the 25th, 26th, and the 1st off.  Maybe a half-day on the 31st.  From the 27th to the 30th though, it's back to the salt mines!

Yes paid, and it was introduced under the PCs quite a while ago.

I think they realized no work actually got done between the 27-31, so they can actually just save a few bucks by just closing government offices.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on October 16, 2019, 03:06:54 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 16, 2019, 02:27:55 PM
That's for January 2nd :P

That's for going back to work. <_<
not here!  :showoff:

I used to work on the 25th in the afternoon, but a couple years ago, I decided to take all of my holydays.  So I work between the 27th-30th to finish some stuff and that's it, back on the 3rd-4th.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.