And we're back!

Main Menu

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving everyone!

Started by Barrister, October 14, 2013, 05:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: HVC on October 28, 2013, 07:26:49 PM
plus Canadian thanksgiving was a few weeks ago :D

Was Canadian Christmas then, too? 'Cause this is the Christmas dinner, not Thanksgiving. :P

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 28, 2013, 07:34:16 PM
Even I don't make my wife cook breakfast on Thanksgiving.

I like to cook, and besides that, it's a way for me to keep busy.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

She has Canadian relatives coming to The One True Thanksgiving.  It's close enough.

HVC

Quote from: merithyn on October 28, 2013, 07:37:08 PM

Was Canadian Christmas then, too? 'Cause this is the Christmas dinner, not Thanksgiving. :P
Hoisted upon my own turkey leg :(
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PDH

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 16, 2013, 01:46:18 PM
I just know--i just fucking know--that my mother, in her yearly orgasmic explosion of Xmas decorating, is going to ask me if I want the cat to have her own Xmas tree.

The best cat 'n Xmas tree I ever saw was at my friend Jay's house.  He had this spastic cat, that would periodically do cat-laps while yowling.  One December the cat screeches, flies into the room at a full run, climbs ALL THE WAY TO THE ANGLE AT THE TOP of the tree, howls again at the whole huge (at least 12 foot tall) thing goes over, rides it all the way to the carpet, then runs out of the room yowling.  The whole thing took about 5 seconds.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Canadian Thanksgiving is for hosers, anyway.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Yeah Meri - it just seems like a lot of food - in particular when you add up the breakfast and lunch items.

I've come around to my inlaws way of thinking for Thanksgiving at least.  They serve the full meal at about 2pm.  Then, at 7pm, it all comes out again.

And aren't you missing the Mennonite sausage? :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on October 28, 2013, 09:44:58 PM
Yeah Meri - it just seems like a lot of food - in particular when you add up the breakfast and lunch items.

I've come around to my inlaws way of thinking for Thanksgiving at least.  They serve the full meal at about 2pm.  Then, at 7pm, it all comes out again.

And aren't you missing the Mennonite sausage? :unsure:

He has nine siblings, their spouses and children, his parents, and five or six married nieces/nephews who are invited. Plus our family of six, and my mom is invited, too. It is a lot of food, yes, but it needs to be. We could be hosting up to 40-45 people.

The Mennonite sausage is in with the vere-whatever and the kielke-thingie.

merithyn

After a discussion with Max, it's been amended slightly.

Quote from: merithyn on October 28, 2013, 04:00:37 PM
This is my menu plan so far:

QuoteRoasted Turkey
Baked Ham
Verenekje w/ Cottage Cheese
Keilkje w/ Sour Cream Sauce
Steamed Green Beans w/ Pearl Onions
Steamed Broccoli
Mashed Potatoes w/ Gravy
Scalloped Corn
Scalloped Oysters
Roasted Broccoli and Root Vegetables
Sage Stuffing
Sweet Potatoes
Sauteed Mushrooms
Cranberry Sauce
Pear, Walnut & Bleu Cheese Salad
Dinner Rolls
Pumpkin Pie x 4
Apple Pie
Dutch Apple Pie
Bread Pudding w/ Caramel Sauce

Ed Anger

Damn right, get that vegetable bullshit out of there.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

The thing is, I'm going to have at least his five sisters and mom in the kitchen wanting to help. (Probably also a couple of sisters-in-law and a few nieces, too, as well as the possibility of my mom.) Trust me when I say that it's in everyone's best interest that I have something for them to do. :ph34r:

KRonn

Meri, that's a huge Thanksgiving group you're hosting! I'm sure it won't be hard to find something to do for those who insist on helping in the kitchen! Plus whatever food they bring. Your Thanksgiving will be like the original one at Plymoth Plantation, all you need to do is invite some Indians. Any of your guests have some Indian blood in them?   :)

merithyn

Quote from: KRonn on October 29, 2013, 07:42:12 AM
Meri, that's a huge Thanksgiving group you're hosting! I'm sure it won't be hard to find something to do for those who insist on helping in the kitchen! Plus whatever food they bring. Your Thanksgiving will be like the original one at Plymoth Plantation, all you need to do is invite some Indians. Any of your guests have some Indian blood in them?   :)

Nope. And they're all traveling 500+ miles to get there. I don't expect any of them to bring anything.

Admiral Yi

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

I have no reason to give thanks in this country, I sure as shit have even less to be thankful for when it comes to Canada.