11 counties to vote on seceding from Colorado because it's too liberal

Started by Syt, October 12, 2013, 11:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/07/us/fed-up-on-the-prairie-and-voting-on-seceding-from-colorado.html?hp&_r=2&

QuoteFed Up on the Prairie, and Voting on Seceding From Colorado

CHEYENNE WELLS, Colo. — The Old West has decided it is fed up with the New West.

At Nan's convenience store here in eastern Colorado, where the front door tells visitors that "Gun Control Is Hitting Your Target," the farmers, crop sprayers, mechanics and retirees who gather for morning coffee say they have had enough of the state and its Democratic leaders. They bristle at gun control laws and marijuana shops, green energy policies and steps to embrace gay marriage and illegal immigrants.

"I would've never believed the state of Colorado would become this liberal," said Lyle Miller, who owns the convenience store. "I'm afraid for my grandchildren. I want them to have the same heritage I had."

So in November, this rural county and 10 others will hold a quixotic vote on whether to secede from Colorado and work to form their own state, one that would cherish the farm towns and conservative ideals that people here say have been lost in Denver's glassy downtown lofts or Aspen's million-dollar ski condos. It would be called New Colorado, or maybe North Colorado — a prairie bulwark against the demographic changes and urbanization that are reshaping politics and life across this and other Western states.

"People think this is a radical idea," said Jeffrey Hare, a leader of the 51st State Initiative, which supports secession. "It's really not. What we're attempting to do is restore liberty."

Many residents and politicians, even those frustrated with the direction of Colorado's politics, have criticized the secession movement. What would happen to state highways? State parks? Water and irrigation rights? Is it even possible to build a new state government from scratch?

The push for a 51st state faces almost insurmountable hurdles. Even if counties from Cheyenne to Elbert to Sedgwick do decide to shear away from Colorado, the state must then vote to allow them to leave. After that, Congress would have to agree to admit a new state — something it has not done for a breakaway since West Virginia, in 1863.

Some residents say the idea just sounds absurd.

"It's supposed to be United States, not split-up states," said George Kemp, who runs a well-water business here.

Supporters say they also favor annexation into Wyoming, or a plan to give each county one state senator, which would give overwhelming political weight to sparsely populated, rural areas. Beyond the logistics, they say, the urge to break free and scratch out a more perfect union runs as deep as an aquifer in American life, and has often been more complex than a breach between liberals and conservatives.

The early 1900s brought a vision for the state of Texlahoma, according to Michael J. Trinklein, who wrote "Lost States," a book about statehood proposals. In 1939, pieces of South Dakota, Montana and Wyoming pushed to become Absaroka. Today, discontented residents in western Maryland, Michigan's Upper Peninsula and the mountains of southern Oregon and Northern California are agitating for their own states. And in Illinois, two rural lawmakers have floated the idea of giving the boot to Chicago.

Much of this frustration stems from complaints that rural areas, whether in Keweenaw, Mich., or Yuma, Colo., have lost their voice in state governments as cities and suburbs grow while rural areas wither. For Colorado, that shift has helped send more Democrats to the state legislature and to Washington, and put the state in President Obama's column in the last two elections.

Here in Cheyenne County, where 82 percent of people voted for Mitt Romney last year, residents say they feel as if their state changed on them. There have never been more than about 3,700 people here, and the last two decades have brought sharp population declines as children moved away and the descendants of homesteading families died off. The county's population is now 1,870, about one resident per square mile.

Oil fields and resurgent prices for wheat and beef have helped the local economy — the unemployment rate is only 3.9 percent — but residents complain that lawmakers in Denver overlook the county when it comes time to finance schools and roads. The future of Keefe Memorial Hospital, the only medical center for 40 miles, is so tenuous that this spring it asked children to color pictures based on the theme "What if the Hospital Closed?"

"We're the bastard stepchild," said Victor Weed, a retired banker. "It doesn't matter what goes on out here. Our voice is too small."

People here in Cheyenne Wells, an atoll of ranch homes and grain-storage bins on an ocean of wheat, cite a list of complaints about what they call burdensome state rules. There was the $40,000 refueling pad that a crop-spraying company had to build. The higher power costs that farmers expect under new clean-power laws. The state inspectors who are leery of the empty fuel tanks under Mr. Miller's cafe.

But the push for a New Colorado did not take hold until Colorado's lawmakers, reeling from mass shootings at an Aurora movie theater and a Connecticut elementary school, passed the state's first new gun control laws in a decade. The laws required background checks on private gun sales and limited magazine capacities, and drew scathing opposition from Republicans and rural conservatives.

As more and more counties voted to put secession on the ballot, gun advocates elsewhere in Colorado fought a successful recall campaign to unseat two Democrats who had supported the firearms laws. And 55 sheriffs filed a federal lawsuit claiming that the new gun laws violated the Second Amendment.

Democrats have dismissed the recalls as low-turnout elections that did not reflect the views of most Coloradans and say secession is just a sideshow. But analysts say the efforts reveal a widening rift between rural and urban Colorado. The breach could pose political problems for the Democratic governor, John W. Hickenlooper, as he runs for re-election next year. He has already vowed to chart a more moderate course when the legislature comes back into session.

"There are enough people that feel their views and their opinions aren't being considered that I think that's a serious problem, and I take it very seriously," Mr. Hickenlooper said in an interview with KOA radio.

For conservative politicians like Rod Pelton, a county commissioner in Cheyenne, that sentiment comes too late. Mr. Pelton's family moved here from Kansas during the Dust Bowl, and he now grows wheat and dryland corn. The alert tone on his cellphone is a gun loading and firing, and he believes in the possibility of New Colorado, no matter how long it takes. "There's going to be a revolution of some kind," he said. "This is the peaceful way to go about it."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Those sons of bitches, they complain about the state becoming too liberal from one side of their mouth then complain they aren't getting enough government money from the other.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on October 13, 2013, 04:39:29 AM
Those sons of bitches, they complain about the state becoming too liberal from one side of their mouth then complain they aren't getting enough government money from the other.

It's only big government when it's doing something they don't want.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Good for them. Colorado used to have a good balance of hippies and normal people. Now there are way too many hippies that have moved in.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Just because you want well-funded local services doesn't nean you have to be a social liberal.
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

Article says some think about joining up with Wyoming.  I don't know, they might find Wyoming a tad too conservative for them.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Sad how they think this will prevent the inevitable march of progress.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 13, 2013, 10:03:42 AM
Just because you want well-funded local services doesn't nean you have to be a social liberal.

Don't try an interject sense. Republicans are evil and should be mocked at all times. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: PDH on October 13, 2013, 10:10:46 AM
Article says some think about joining up with Wyoming.  I don't know, they might find Wyoming a tad too conservative for them.

Bah, we need to keep those nice rectangular shapes on the map.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

That guy at the end, with his gun-net cell phone sounds?  He's silly.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Zanza

Aren't there regions like that in many states? I would imagine that there is quite a gap between people living in the rural Adirondacks and those living in Manhattan too...

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 13, 2013, 10:03:42 AM

it's a catch all term that includes progressives.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, democracy sucks ass, alright.

What they should do is gerrymander themselves into an impenetrable enclave of conservatism, send somebody to Congress, and let everybody know what they think.