News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The DC-3 Still Soldiers On

Started by Jacob, October 11, 2013, 12:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

The DC-3 - she just keeps on truckin'...

QuoteLog in to a live flight-track website and follow BFL168 as it climbs to 6,000ft and cruises at 155 mph (250 kph) just south of the Arctic Circle. This is a scheduled flight from Yellowknife to Hay River in the Northwest Territories of Canada. You will see that the 45-minute trip, operated by Buffalo Airways, is nearly always on time. What might surprise you is the type of aircraft that makes this daily journey in what can be decidedly harsh conditions. No, not some smart new jet equipped with every latest safety device and digital gizmo, but a 28-seat Douglas DC-3 (twin-piston).

What this means is that the very youngest of the aircraft operated by Buffalo Airways on flight 168 are two years shy of their 70th birthday. And, if all goes to plan, the legendary DC-3 will be the first airliner to fly into its second century.

Altogether about 16,000 American, Russian and Japanese-built Douglas DC-3s, and also C-47 Skytrains, 'Dakotas', Lisunov Li-2s, and Showa and Nakajima L2Ds – the near identical military versions built in the 1940s – took to the air from December 1935. Around 2,000 fly today. Some of these sleek, stressed-metal aircraft are used for fire−fighting and crop spraying, some for rescue work, research and exploration, and others for freight, films, and joy flights.

More here: http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20131009-dc3-still-flying-at-70

mongers

Nice find, cool website and story.   :)

So they were designing it just a few years after films became talkies, yet it's still flying today.

edit:
someone will no doubt post about B52s, one of those existing airframes must be around 55 years old ? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

grumbler

My favorite plane inthis series was a "DC-2 1/2" made from the body and starboard wing of a DC-3, and the port wing of a DC-2.  It was cobbled together in China from a total of 5 wrecked planes, during WW2, and flew (IIRC) until the early 1950s.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Best movie ever: Flight of the Phoenix.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on October 11, 2013, 01:27:07 PM

Obviously the Jimmy Stewart flix, not the remake. :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

The Ju52 was also in operation for quite a while, IIRC.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on October 11, 2013, 01:32:38 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 11, 2013, 01:27:07 PM

Obviously the Jimmy Stewart flix, not the remake. :unsure:

There's a Jimmy Stewart movie?! :o
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on October 11, 2013, 01:35:22 PM
The Ju52 was also in operation for quite a while, IIRC.

DerEdelweiss with the nazi stuff.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive