The reality of "parental consent" for abortions

Started by merithyn, October 10, 2013, 08:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2013, 09:10:06 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2013, 09:04:30 AM
Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2013, 08:57:37 AM
But ultimately, it's still about choices. If we're going to give women the right to choose whether or not they're parents, we should be prepared to do the same for men.

I don't think so. I think we need to factor in what is good for society. Making it easier for men to abandon their future children doesn't strike me as a positive.

That's a fair take on it, though I disagree that it takes precedence over personal choices. I'm not sure we'll change one another's minds on this, so I'll say that I respect your opinion and leave it at that.

:hug:

What a libertarian. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2013, 09:13:54 AM
Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2013, 09:10:06 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2013, 09:04:30 AM
Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2013, 08:57:37 AM
But ultimately, it's still about choices. If we're going to give women the right to choose whether or not they're parents, we should be prepared to do the same for men.

I don't think so. I think we need to factor in what is good for society. Making it easier for men to abandon their future children doesn't strike me as a positive.

That's a fair take on it, though I disagree that it takes precedence over personal choices. I'm not sure we'll change one another's minds on this, so I'll say that I respect your opinion and leave it at that.

:hug:

What a libertarian. :P

I was gonna call you a commie. :D

I've always wondered if we'll eventually reach a technological level where we can just take away people's ability to procreate, then give it back whenever they have decided to have a kid.

Of course, this isn't fully in tune with the reality of reproduction, which is a lot more often "I'll risk it because I don't care, oh, I'm/she's pregnant, well OK" than you'd think.  Wish I still had that article/study on hand.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)