The reality of "parental consent" for abortions

Started by merithyn, October 10, 2013, 08:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Kleves on October 10, 2013, 11:44:55 AM
Quote from: merithyn on October 10, 2013, 11:18:45 AM
Or to choose to give the child up for adoption, which is far more difficult, psychologically & physcially, on a woman.
Not as tough on the kid, though.

Agreed trying to abort a kid would be wrong.

Neil

Some Christians are bad people.  It's not news.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on October 10, 2013, 11:43:20 AM
A bit like closing the door after the horse gets out, isn't it?

That is, of course, the preferred. However, mistakes happen.

You were supposed to react more strongly to that  <_<
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 10, 2013, 01:58:07 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 10, 2013, 11:43:20 AM
A bit like closing the door after the horse gets out, isn't it?

That is, of course, the preferred. However, mistakes happen.

You were supposed to react more strongly to that  <_<

No. Not about this. There is no positive in any of this. I understand your stance - and agree that it's not what anyone wants. I'm pro-choice, but I'm not pro-abortion. It's a very sad circumstance for everyone.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

dps

Quote from: merithyn on October 10, 2013, 09:05:01 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 10, 2013, 09:00:45 AM
Never thought Nebraska would be an insane one.

:(

Nebraska suffers from apathy.

The extremists care and mobilize. The rest don't give a fuck.

I don't see anything that indicates that there's a problem here with Nebraskan law.  The problem here appears to be that the judge is either an idiot, or has an axe to grind.

PDH

I don't mind parental consent for this, in general.  I also think sex ed and free contraceptives should be the base line too.  Whore pills and consequences for those who do not learn.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ideologue

Man, I was reading today that Cali enacted a new law where 1)nurse practicioners can perform abortions and 2)half of California counties have no abortion providers.

Should I: go back to school?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

Ummm...What does the father think? He's not even mentioned.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

PDH

If the father was another teen he doesn't think, by definition.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 10, 2013, 09:00:45 AM
Never thought Nebraska would be an insane one.

:(

Dude, it's part of the New Confederacy.  The Great Plains states have been going the way of the Deep South for quite some time.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Camerus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 10, 2013, 07:33:32 PM
Ummm...What does the father think? He's not even mentioned.

That rarely seems to factor into abortion debates.

Ideologue

There was a case in Michigan, I believe, where a father tried to sue to have his parental rights/obligations terminated because the woman he knocked up would not get an abortion or give the child up for adoption.

Didn't work, obviously, but honestly I don't think there's a very good ethical basis for refusing prospective fathers but affording prospective mothers an ejector seat.

Meri: disagrees.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)