The reality of "parental consent" for abortions

Started by merithyn, October 10, 2013, 08:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 10, 2013, 08:27:06 AM
There's always adoption.

Absolutely. That's always an option.

The problem here is the lack of options. She's made a choice that works best for her, and the law is refusing to allow her to excercise that choice.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 10, 2013, 09:00:45 AM
Never thought Nebraska would be an insane one.

:(

Nebraska suffers from apathy.

The extremists care and mobilize. The rest don't give a fuck.

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on October 10, 2013, 09:04:19 AM
There's always adoption.

The problem here is the lack of options. She's made a choice that works best for her, and the law is refusing to allow her to excercise that choice.

Indeed it does seem daft, from what I've read she seems to have an average or above average ability, for her age, to comprehend the ramification of the various choices she could make if allowed so.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Quote from: mongers on October 10, 2013, 09:10:46 AM

Indeed it does seem daft, from what I've read she seems to have an average or above average ability, for her age, to comprehend the ramification of the various choices she could make if allowed so.

Agreed. And to use the justification that she's never financially supported herself is ridiculous. That just basically says that any woman under the age of 18 cannot have an abortion.

grumbler

Quote from: merithyn on October 10, 2013, 09:04:19 AM
There's always adoption.

Yes.  Imagine the reaction of those who argue that the girl shouldn't make the choice iif the court had insisted on an abortion when the girl wanted to have the baby and give it up for adoption.  I strongly suspect that Spicey would not make the argument that "there's always abortion."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

the young woman wasn't mature enough to make the abortion decision but she is mature enough to be a mother. 

Interesting logic.

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 10, 2013, 11:13:15 AM
the young woman wasn't mature enough to make the abortion decision but she is mature enough to be a mother. 

Interesting logic.

Or to choose to give the child up for adoption, which is far more difficult, psychologically & physcially, on a woman.

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on October 10, 2013, 11:18:45 AM

Interesting logic.

Or to choose to give the child up for adoption, which is far more difficult, psychologically & physcially, on a woman.

Agreed.

Admiral Yi

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 10, 2013, 11:29:14 AM
Is there a myth of parental consent? :unsure:

I've forever heard that getting parental consent isn't difficult. If the parents are unavailable - or the woman fears being endangered - they can go before a judge to get permission. Basically, the judge's job was/is to make sure that the woman understands what she's asking for and is able to make a reasoned decision.

In this case, however, the girl appears to be articulate, capable, and well-aware of what her choices are, and yet the judge still denied her request for - in my opinion - spurious reasons. That, to me, belies the argument that it's not a big onus on women to require parental or judicial consent.

derspiess

Interesting logic.

Then she shouldn't have had unprotected sex.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 10, 2013, 11:42:29 AM

Interesting logic.

A bit like closing the door after the horse gets out, isn't it?

That is, of course, the preferred. However, mistakes happen.

Kleves

Not as tough on the kid, though.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

merithyn

Quote from: Kleves on October 10, 2013, 11:44:55 AM
Not as tough on the kid, though.

Given that most abortions are required to take place before it's actually a kid, I'm not sure that's applicable.

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on October 10, 2013, 11:42:29 AM

Interesting logic.

The we shouldnt provide medical treatment for people who gets injured - shouldnt have been doing whatever caused their injury or should have carried out the activity in a manner that was more safe.  According to your logic we shoud also certainly not provide any medical treatment to anyone injury while carrying out a recreational or non work related action or activity.