News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Will large cities become obsolete?

Started by MadImmortalMan, October 09, 2013, 08:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on October 09, 2013, 08:17:09 PM
I would also disagree about the social aspects of living in a city.  IMO, big cities are a perfect example of a crowd being the loneliest place.  I imagine that in fact small towns are the more sociable places, precisely because everyone knows everyone, and thus you have to support the human connections with strangers you run into every day.

Unless, of course, you don't fit into the mold of what the small town wants its populace to be like. That'd be pretty isolating.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2013, 08:14:39 PM
Where's your evidence?  Most cities in the world have kept on growing.

Well the whole population kept growing. Suburbs/exurbs grew faster, I think. By most definitions, suburbs count as urban, but that's not what I mean when I say cities.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

11B4V

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 09, 2013, 08:01:04 PM
I think they might.

God I hope not. All you monkeys need to stay in your cities.. :mad:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2013, 08:04:02 PM
The opposite.  Large numbers of people have bid up the most desirable real estate in the world: compact, walkable urban centers.
Yep. London's bigger than it's been since the 1930s and growing at an enormous rate. There was a decline in urban areas in the 20th century, but so far in the developed world the trend at the minute is that people want to live in cities more than ever.

In the developing world urbanisations always been going on.

QuoteNo, that limitation is gone. As are others I mentioned. And then people started leaving.
But I think that happened once in the 20th century when there was a movement to the suburbs. In the UK certainly that was tied to slum clearance and war, there'll be other factors elsewhere. Right now the trend in London but also in other cities - Bristol, Manchester, Sheffield - is for people to want to move there.

In addition I think Yi's right. There's a move against urban sprawl, not urban living.

QuoteAlso are we on course to see majority of humanity living in cities during this centre, perhaps within the lifetime of some of us ?
Happened in 2009.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2013, 08:21:00 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 09, 2013, 08:17:09 PM
I would also disagree about the social aspects of living in a city.  IMO, big cities are a perfect example of a crowd being the loneliest place.  I imagine that in fact small towns are the more sociable places, precisely because everyone knows everyone, and thus you have to support the human connections with strangers you run into every day.

Unless, of course, you don't fit into the mold of what the small town wants its populace to be like. That'd be pretty isolating.
That's a good point, there is a much greater pressure to conform in small population centers (though one may argue that it's part of socializing).  That's also why there is a consistent pattern throughout the world of more liberal political parties being supported by the urban areas, and more autocratic parties being supported by the suburban and rural areas.

PDH

If there are no cities we will be uncivilized.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on October 09, 2013, 08:31:06 PM
If there are no cities we will be uncivilized.

Hey man, but what about our virtual cities like this place ?  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

google gave me "rectum civitatem" for virtual city.  Anus-city they shall be known as.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on October 09, 2013, 08:40:31 PM
google gave me "rectum civitatem" for virtual city.  Anus-city they shall be known as.

I like to drive the Hershey Highway.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

I've seen little here or elsewhere to contradict that.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: mongers on October 09, 2013, 08:43:11 PM

And yet some here get most of their social interaction this way.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

When gas was cheap there was definitely a move in that direction in the US, but with the increasing cost of fuel the trend has reversed and mirrors the development of the rest of the world.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 09, 2013, 08:44:28 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 09, 2013, 08:43:11 PM

And yet some here get most of their social interaction this way.  :P

I get plenty of that in the real world, it's just others appreciate it's 'quality'  :D

Eddie Teach

Nah.

Economic pressure to live outside the city center dissipates as prices decrease inside the city center. "Nobody goes there, it's too crowded" is a problem that fixes itself. Also, cities attract people who wish to have close proximity to various social & cultural activities that don't thrive unless there's a large local population.

The population itself can be a draw. There's a lot more diversity for people who want to meet lots of people and there's a lot less chance of running into people you've known before for people who want to avoid people.

Metropoli that only exist because of industry pressures may fade once those pressures do(this is probably happening in Detroit), but cultural pressures to bunch together as well as generally high population density in certain desirable regions mean large cities remain inevitable.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: mongers on October 09, 2013, 08:19:26 PM
Isn't the growth in city size and urban occupancy one of the more consistent trends in history ? :unsure:

Also are we on course to see majority of humanity living in cities during this centre, perhaps within the lifetime of some of us ?

Which maybe the first time this has occurred in human history ?

According to the UN, we passed the point where half of the world's population lives in urban areas in 2008.