Truckers Ride for the Constitution to shut down DC

Started by merithyn, October 08, 2013, 09:12:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Tamas, you have zero idea of what a "average hard-line Republican" is actually like. All you know is the caricature of them created by the media.

You should be mature enough by now to realize that there is little actual resemblance between the tens of millions of people who make up the core of the Republican party and the singular and narrow view of them that you get out of the media, and that includes the pro-right media, like Fox and such.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: Tamas on October 08, 2013, 09:16:54 AM
I wonder if the election of the first black President was too soon. I am having trouble not linking the ever-increasing shrill-parade of the far right to the fact that they have started it when they spotted the sheriff is a n....

I'm old enough to remember how much Republicans loathed Clinton.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on October 08, 2013, 10:05:09 AM
Tamas, you have zero idea of what a "average hard-line Republican" is actually like. All you know is the caricature of them created by the media.

You should be mature enough by now to realize that there is little actual resemblance between the tens of millions of people who make up the core of the Republican party and the singular and narrow view of them that you get out of the media, and that includes the pro-right media, like Fox and such.

Fair enough. But then why is that fringe minority manages to totally dominate the party?

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2013, 10:04:52 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 08, 2013, 10:03:16 AM
No, you're a New Yorker.

After only 3 years?

It's not a measure of years, it's a measure of attitude.

Have you witness & ignored someone dieing, yet?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

lustindarkness

If they do this, will they go ahead and film The Great American Traffic Jam 2?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

I wonder if the election of the first black President was too soon. I am having trouble not linking the ever-increasing shrill-parade of the far right to the fact that they have started it when they spotted the sheriff is a n....

Sounds like you have forgotten the 90s.  Vince Foster, Whitewater, David Koresh, and of course impeachment...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on October 08, 2013, 10:21:27 AM

Fair enough. But then why is that fringe minority manages to totally dominate the party?

This has been discussed ad naseum. If you don't know the answer by now, I certainly don't have the patience to sum it up yet again.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on October 08, 2013, 10:27:25 AM

Sounds like you have forgotten the 90s.  Vince Foster, Whitewater, David Koresh, and of course impeachment...

Tamas didn't have a TV then.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Tamas on October 08, 2013, 10:02:01 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2013, 10:01:01 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 08, 2013, 09:59:37 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2013, 09:56:55 AM
Quote from: grumbler on October 08, 2013, 09:48:08 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2013, 09:35:45 AM

Yeah, there could be no other explanation.

Yeah, because "I wonder if..." certainly implies "there could be no other explanation."  NOT   ;)

Yeah but his post suggests that at least a sizable portion of increase in "shrill-parade" stems from the fact that the opposition is just racist.

The opposition is racist, tho.

I'm not racist. :unsure:

Honestly: what would the average hard-line Republican think of you?

The problem that some conservatives would have with Garbon would be that he's gay, not that he's black.  And nowdays, most conservatives wouldn't have any problem with him being gay, either. 

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Tamas on October 08, 2013, 10:21:27 AM

They get good press.  The liberals like them because they get their viewers good and riled up. The Fox News and Limbaughs like them because they create a lot of filler and make things more dramatic.
PDH!

frunk

To my mind it is primarily about the economy, and the current president determines where the idiots come from.  If the economic situation was better than there wouldn't be nearly as much support for the loonies.  If a Republican had the White House since 2008 it would be the Occupy nutsters that would be splitting apart the Democrats.  Unfortunately it also means that the Tea Party isn't that interested in a stable or improving economy, since they lose a lot of support.  It's just a question of how far the TPers can push it before the popular blame goes almost entirely on them.

Jacob

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 08, 2013, 12:44:39 PMThey get good press.  The liberals like them because they get their viewers good and riled up. The Fox News and Limbaughs like them because they create a lot of filler and make things more dramatic.

I think Fox, Limbaugh, deMint et. al. like them because they're a good source of revenue.

Jacob

Quote from: frunk on October 08, 2013, 01:01:32 PM
To my mind it is primarily about the economy, and the current president determines where the idiots come from.  If the economic situation was better than there wouldn't be nearly as much support for the loonies.  If a Republican had the White House since 2008 it would be the Occupy nutsters that would be splitting apart the Democrats.  Unfortunately it also means that the Tea Party isn't that interested in a stable or improving economy, since they lose a lot of support.  It's just a question of how far the TPers can push it before the popular blame goes almost entirely on them.

Right now the popular blame does seem to be trending towards the TPers: http://election.princeton.edu/2013/10/08/the-risk-to-the-gop-house-majority/

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)