Truckers Ride for the Constitution to shut down DC

Started by merithyn, October 08, 2013, 09:12:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

:lol:

Between furloughs, car chases, and a self-immolation, the residents of Washington, DC, aren't having a great October. But by Friday of this week, things could get even worse — and not because of the looming debt crisis.

On October 11th, a group of right-wing truckers is planning to drive to DC to shut down the major commuter highway that circles the city. They'll continue to block traffic, they say, until they see the arrest of elected officials who have "violated their oath of office."

Organizers of the event, which is titled "Truckers Ride for the Constitution," say they are fed up with a variety of headaches caused by the government: Fuel efficiency standards enforced by the Environmental Protection Agency, Obamacare, state and local laws over idling their trucks, and "insurance companies purportedly requiring technological updates," according to US News and World Report.

They say that to demonstrate against violations of the constitution, they plan to circle interstate 495 — known widely as the beltway — and not allow through any traffic. If police try to stop them, they'll park their trucks right on the highway.

Originally, reports from US News and World Report indicated the truckers were looking to impeach President Obama. But Earl Conlon, an organizer of the event, told US News, "We're not asking for impeachment, we're asking for the arrest of everyone in government who has violated their oath of office." These include House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), and Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), both for purportedly arming al Qaeda linked Syrian rebels. But while it might seem very US-specific, even some Canadian truckers might join in.

It was not immediately clear how truckers would go from circling the highway around DC to actually arresting elected representatives.

But, if the protest grows large enough, it could spell even more trouble for DC: The trucker event is slated to go on for three days, and will coincide with the weekend of the previously-planned Million Vet March, where veterans can express their outrage over the government shutdown.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tamas

I wonder if the election of the first black President was too soon. I am having trouble not linking the ever-increasing shrill-parade of the far right to the fact that they have started it when they spotted the sheriff is a n....

grumbler

I think the truckers will succeed in getting a lot of people* arrested.

Anyone looking for a cheap rig might want to wait until these confiscated rigs go up for auction.

Other than that, I'd say to these guys, "bring it on, assholes."

* probably eleven or twelve of the fourteen truckers participating
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

It's just more and more insanity from the far-right conservatives, and I can't help but wonder when it will end.

This must be how Americans felt during the Vietnam Era regarding the far-left liberals.

Berkut

Sounds like a great opportunity to get some douchebags off the road.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on October 08, 2013, 09:16:54 AM
I wonder if the election of the first black President was too soon. I am having trouble not linking the ever-increasing shrill-parade of the far right to the fact that they have started it when they spotted the sheriff is a n....

Yeah, there could be no other explanation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2013, 09:35:45 AM

Sure, don't help.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

I think that for some, yes, it's too soon. But then, for those people, it will always be too soon.

For most, however, he's just a Democrat in the White House doing things that they disagree with. It wouldn't matter what color his skin is; they find the ideas distasteful.

grumbler

Yeah, because "I wonder if..." certainly implies "there could be no other explanation."  NOT   ;)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on October 08, 2013, 09:48:08 AM

Yeah, because "I wonder if..." certainly implies "there could be no other explanation."  NOT   ;)

Yeah but his post suggests that at least a sizable portion of increase in "shrill-parade" stems from the fact that the opposition is just racist.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2013, 09:56:55 AM

Yeah but his post suggests that at least a sizable portion of increase in "shrill-parade" stems from the fact that the opposition is just racist.

The opposition is racist, tho.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 08, 2013, 09:59:37 AM

I'm not racist. :unsure:

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2013, 10:01:01 AM

Honestly: what would the average hard-line Republican think of you?

Grey Fox

No, you're a New Yorker.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on October 08, 2013, 10:02:01 AM

Honestly: what would the average hard-line Republican think of you?

I've quite a few in my family and they seem to be okay with me. :unsure: