News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

General Giap dies at 102

Started by Jacob, October 04, 2013, 11:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 06:02:49 PM
We got our asses kicked by a nation of houseboys.

Did you ever live down the shame, or are you guys still hanging your heads?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

mongers

I wonder what lessons, if any, did the American military establishment draw from his generalship and writings ?

Other than the wider, avoid counter-insurgency operations on the Asian mainland.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on October 05, 2013, 06:20:16 PM
I wonder what lessons, if any, did the American military establishment draw from his generalship and writings ?

Other than the wider, avoid counter-insurgency operations on the Asian mainland.

I'm sure in your mind, never enough.  He was the penultimate military genius & whatnot.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

The US military tends to draw its lessons from its own leadership's experiences more than the enemy's. 

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 05, 2013, 08:00:28 PM

The US military tends to draw its lessons from its own leadership's experiences more than the enemy's.

I think Derspiess is at this very moment planning the beginnings of the Teaparty insurgency.

11B4V

This thread reminded me i need to get The Last Valley off my amazon wish list.  ;)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on October 05, 2013, 07:49:49 PM
I'm sure in your mind, never enough.  He was the penultimate military genius & whatnot.
Who was the ultimate? :o

He's an interesting figure. I imagine he's pretty important in terms of theory.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on October 05, 2013, 08:07:30 PM
I think Derspiess is at this very moment planning the beginnings of the Teaparty insurgency.

I think derspiess doesn't know what "penultimate" means, other than turning the "ultimate" dial to 11.

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on October 05, 2013, 08:09:19 PM
This thread reminded me i need to get The Last Valley off my amazon wish list.  ;)

I've got it, unread sitting about 8 feet from me, is it really not worth reading?

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on October 05, 2013, 08:11:43 PM

I've got it, unread sitting about 8 feet from me, is it really not worth reading?

Dont know, but I will be finding out.  Probably order it next week. I have a gun show to go to tomorrow. Got to find more powder.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on October 05, 2013, 08:13:31 PM

Dont know, but I will be finding out.  Probably order it next week. I have a gun show to go to tomorrow. Got to find more powder.

Cheers, I thought you meant taking it off your wish list, rather than removing it to put it in 'the basket'.   

CountDeMoney

Don't be like Woody Allen and sneeze it all over the room.  So uncool.

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on October 05, 2013, 08:15:36 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on October 05, 2013, 08:13:31 PM

Cheers, I thought you meant taking it off your wish list, rather than removing it to put it in 'the basket'.

Reviews say it's detailed, which suits me. 700+ pages isnt it?