Started by Jacob, October 04, 2013, 11:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

:blink:

Wow, he was still alive?

R.I.P., worthy adversary. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Also amazed he was still kicking about. One tough mofo.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

derspiess

But seriously, he was an interesting fella (if maybe slightly overrated in some circles) and IIRC was actually one of the more moderate figures in North Vietnamese leadership that favored political rather than military means of unifying the country.

Still, kind of irritates me that these two guys gave us so much trouble:

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

*shrug* I have the same sort of respect for him that I have for folks like Rommel who opposed us, but did so with great skill and determination.

derspiess

I'm just saying they don't look like particularly menacing dudes in that pic.  Giap with his little white suite & short tie, and Ho with his casual summer weekend shorts & sandals.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 04, 2013, 11:52:12 AM
I'm just saying they don't look like particularly menacing dudes in that pic.  Giap with his little white suite & short tie, and Ho with his casual summer weekend shorts & sandals.

Low tech will always match up well against high tech when it comes to warfare.

Caliga

Oh, I see. :)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

We got our asses kicked by a nation of houseboys.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 04, 2013, 11:53:36 AM

Yeah, the Japanese matched up so well against high tech that they surrendered before anyone even set a boot on the home islands.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on October 04, 2013, 06:05:20 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 04, 2013, 11:53:36 AM

Yeah, the Japanese matched up so well against high tech that they surrendered before anyone even set a boot on the home islands.

Imperial Japan wasn't exactly low tech.  Stop watching samurai flicks.

Ideologue

Ours was higher.  We had level 9 tech teams.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)