Tom Clancy Dead: Celebrated Thriller Author Dies At Age 66

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, October 02, 2013, 09:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

According to the Publishers Weekly Twitter account, American author Tom Clancy died Wednesday in a Baltimore hospital at age 66.

Born in Baltimore, Maryland, and originally an insurance salesman, Tom Clancy went on write technically detailed espionage and military science books.

He is responsible for best-selling books such as "The Hunt for Red October," "Patriot Games," "Clear and Present Danger," and "The Sum of All Fears" — all of which were adapted into major Hollywood films.

In 1996, Clancy co-founded the video game developer Red Storm Entertainment and has had his name on several of Red Storm's most successful games.

Red Storm was later bought by publisher Ubisoft Entertainment for an undisclosed sum.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tom-clancy-dead-celebrated-thriller-author-dies-at-age-66-2013-10

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

RIP :(

Maybe now some other Baltimoran can rise to author superstardom? :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Kleves

Gave us some good books, and some good videogames. RIP.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Agelastus

R.I.P. :(

I still have well thumbed copies of his earlier books.

[As for his later books and "collaborations", perhaps the less said the better.]
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on October 02, 2013, 09:49:37 AM

[As for his later books and "collaborations", perhaps the less said the better.]

My feelings as well.  His early stuff had some Bobby Inman input, and that helped out a lot.  His later stuff was...
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Maladict

:(

Not sure I'd want to re-read them, but I enjoyed the early books back in the day.
I think I read up to the proto-9/11 book, whatever it was called.

Legbiter

He was good in parts. That's more than most authors can say. R.I.P
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: grumbler on October 02, 2013, 10:01:20 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on October 02, 2013, 09:49:37 AM

My feelings as well.  His early stuff had some Bobby Inman input, and that helped out a lot.  His later stuff was...

I gave up on him after the third Op Center book.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Fireblade

Too bad, the Republicans are well on their way to establishing an IRL version of his right-wing masturbatory fantasy. :(

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Caliga on October 02, 2013, 11:59:05 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 02, 2013, 10:53:07 AM
RIP :(

Red Storm Rising was awesome.
The video game was better than the book. :sleep:
It was better than most video games before or since. Don't know about being better than the book.
PDH!