Tom Clancy Dead: Celebrated Thriller Author Dies At Age 66

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, October 02, 2013, 09:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: KRonn on October 03, 2013, 08:17:26 AM
Quote from: Kleves on October 02, 2013, 09:48:40 AM
Gave us some good books, and some good videogames. RIP.

And lots of movies spun off of his books.

I see you left out the "good" qualifier... :hmm:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

KRonn

I've read a few of Clancy's books, not too many. They usually had the US doing so well vs the adversary, in one book the adversary was a resurgent Japan under a group of leaders who usurped the government, or gained power in some way. Others about Irish terrorism back when that was going strong.

Some of the movies/books were good thrillers IMO, and Affleck and Harrison Ford made good John Ryan characters.

KRonn

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 03, 2013, 08:19:19 AM
Quote from: KRonn on October 03, 2013, 08:17:26 AM
Quote from: Kleves on October 02, 2013, 09:48:40 AM
Gave us some good books, and some good videogames. RIP.

And lots of movies spun off of his books.

I see you left out the "good" qualifier... :hmm:

Yeah, I liked all of the movies spun off the books.   :)

grumbler

Quote from: KRonn on October 03, 2013, 09:15:33 AM
Yeah, I liked all of the movies spun off the books.   :) 

I thought that, with the possible exception of The Hunt for the Red October, all of the movies were better than the books they were based on.  I think Clancy's characters work better with the more limited exposure they have in movies.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

My biggest disappointment with the Hunt for Red October movie was that they left out the part with Jack Ryan flying (as a passenger) in a Sea Harrier.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

I thought almost all of his early stuff was excellent.

His later stuff just freaking fell off a cliff though. He went from outstanding to terrible in a astoundingly short span.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

The Hunt for Red October (1984) - Excellent
Red Storm Rising (1986) - Excellent
Patriot Games (1987) - Very good
The Cardinal of the Kremlin (1988) - Excellent
Clear and Present Danger (1989) - Good
The Sum of All Fears (1991) - OK
Without Remorse (1993)  -Very good/Excellent
Debt of Honor (1994) - Poor
Everything after this ranges from Poor to utter crap, with the weight being towards utter crap.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Berkut on October 04, 2013, 08:59:11 AM
I thought almost all of his early stuff was excellent.

His later stuff just freaking fell off a cliff though. He went from outstanding to terrible in a astoundingly short span.
I think he started outsourcing it to Ghost writers and such.  They were beyond awful. 
PDH!

derspiess

I guess due to dumb luck, I trailed off on reading his books right when they took a turn for the worse.

Actually, I remember reading the back cover for whatever book it was where Jack Ryan became president and Congress gets all blowed up, and thinking it was a silly premise that didn't interest me.

After that I read Rainbow Six and I think that was about it.  Rainbow Six was pretty decent.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: derspiess on October 04, 2013, 10:24:51 AM
I guess due to dumb luck, I trailed off on reading his books right when they took a turn for the worse.

Actually, I remember reading the back cover for whatever book it was where Jack Ryan became president and Congress gets all blowed up, and thinking it was a silly premise that didn't interest me.

After that I read Rainbow Six and I think that was about it.  Rainbow Six was pretty decent.

Executive Orders.  I read the entire Jack Ryan series, Red Storm Rising, and the first three Op Center books.  Op Center killed it for me.

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on October 04, 2013, 09:02:52 AM
The Cardinal of the Kremlin (1988) - Excellent
The Sum of All Fears (1991) - OK
Without Remorse (1993)  -Very good/Excellent
Debt of Honor (1994) - Poor
Everything after this ranges from Poor to utter crap, with the weight being towards utter crap.

One of my favorites.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

I agree with you on all of the above except Patriot Games might also be 'Excellent'.  I haven't read any of the others.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Ugh, the end of Patriot Games sucked.  Talk about wrapping up a plot in a fucking hurry.

Personally, I loved Clear and Present Danger.

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on October 04, 2013, 11:56:35 AM
I agree with you on all of the above except Patriot Games might also be 'Excellent'.  I haven't read any of the others.
I thought patriot Games was only good (the movie was much better).  I couldn't finish Cardinal of the Kremlin.

I just found the Jack Ryan character boring as hell.  The wife character had some moments, but Jack was just a vehicle for the action (which is why I thought the character worked for the movies even when it didn't for the books: in almost every movie like this, the main character just serves as a vehicle for the action).

Just reading about the one where Japan attacks the US to reclaim Guam was enough to turn my stomach.  I'd rather study Timmay's alt-hist than Clancy's.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!