13th Century Mass Murderer Identified By Modern 'Criminal' Investigation.

Started by mongers, October 01, 2013, 05:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on October 02, 2013, 12:00:10 PM
I'm misguided in what I find interesting? Wow. Think about that statement for just a second, will you?

I think there is more to it than you give credit for.  There I thought about it.

QuoteAlso, I didn't say it was easy or that it required no effort. I said that it's easIER than learning about peasants. If you know anything about history, you know that this is true. The MOUNTAINS of documents about royals, government, wars, etc., make it much easier to figure out how people lived at that level of society, who the royals were, and why wars were fought. Does it answer everything? Of course not. Do I really care? No, not really. I know the basics, I get the gist of it, and pretty much, that's where my interest lies.

And that is a great interest.  I share and fully support this interest.  I sort of disagree it is that much easier for all sorts of reasons that are complicated.

QuoteYou enjoy it. Great! Have fun reading about it. There's lots out there for you to read about. The stuff that I'm interested in, however, is... lacking, comparatively.

I'm still not understanding where the affront is.

I just did not understand why it was necessary to express how inferior something else was first.  I do not understand where the confusion is about that.

I am not really that offended I just do not get it.  I mean how annoying would it be before a military historian talked about wars for him to say something like 'social history is so pointless, I mean we are not peasants living on some estate how is that relevent to us?  But humans will always fight wars so lets get into something really important!'  This is not an uncommon thing for people to say (well usually not exactly like that) in history and I am usually like 'really?  Why is this necessary to say?'.  Just a pet peeve of mine.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on October 02, 2013, 12:32:01 PM

I think there is more to it than you give credit for.  There I thought about it.

Valmy, my degree is in medieval history. I was required, as part of my degree, to study exactly the stuff that you're claiming to love. I couldn't have cared less about any of it. I learned it because I had to, and I set it aside as soon as I could. To assume that I know nothing about it - and therefore am misguided in my distaste for it - is ridiculous. I DO know about it, which is WHY I dislike it. *I* dislike it. *Me*. Not *my* thing.

And that is a great interest.  I share and fully support this interest.  I sort of disagree it is that much easier for all sorts of reasons that are complicated.

Okay. You disagree. Given that you've probably never tried to find information on how peasants bathed, cared for their clothing, wove their fabrics, etc., you'll have to forgive me if I take your disagreement with a grain of salt, however. If you have and I'm mistaken in the belief that there is mountains of information on those very things, again I ask that you provide me any information you have, as two decades of studying it hasn't gotten me very far compared to learning about wars, royalty, and politics.

I just did not understand why it was necessary to express how inferior something else was first.  I do not understand where the confusion is about that.

I am not really that offended I just do not get it.  I mean how annoying would it be before a military historian talked about wars for him to say something like 'social history is so pointless, I mean we are not peasants living on some estate how is that relevent to us?  But humans will always fight wars so lets get into something really important!'  This is not an uncommon thing for people to say (well usually not exactly like that) in history and I am usually like 'really?  Why is this necessary to say?'.  Just a pet peeve of mine.

Oh, I'm sorry. Was I supposed to pretend to mongers - who, like me, prefers to learn about the more mundane aspects of history - that I gave a shit about that stuff just to appease you? I didn't realize! From now on, I'll be sure to curtail my every word to make sure that it doesn't offend someone with a different opinion on the topic.

And by the way, I've spent my entire life hearing about how fucking awesome learning about wars, military prowess, politics, etc., are compared to mundane life. How unimportant my area of interst is to "the grand scheme of things". So you'll have to forgive me if I don't bend over backwards in apology for actually saying, "Yeah, not that interesting. There's massive amounts of stuff on it, and I don't really care."
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

lustindarkness

As interesting as this article is (still reading it) where the fuck is the mass mruder and the criminal investigation?!  <_<  :mad:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on October 02, 2013, 12:43:43 PM
Valmy, my degree is in medieval history. I was required, as part of my degree, to study exactly the stuff that you're claiming to love.

I do not even especially love that stuff.  But that may be why I enjoy it alot more than you: I did not endure having to study it in College.

Okay. You disagree. Given that you've probably never tried to find information on how peasants bathed, cared for their clothing, wove their fabrics, etc., you'll have to forgive me if I take your disagreement with a grain of salt, however. If you have and I'm mistaken in the belief that there is mountains of information on those very things, again I ask that you provide me any information you have, as two decades of studying it hasn't gotten me very far compared to learning about wars, royalty, and politics.

Well alot about wars and politics ALSO involve how peasants did those sorts of things now doesn't it?  After all we are talking about the overwhelming majority of the population and the fighting strength of the armies.

Oh, I'm sorry. Was I supposed to pretend to mongers - who, like me, prefers to learn about the more mundane aspects of history - that I gave a shit about that stuff just to appease you? I didn't realize! From now on, I'll be sure to curtail my every word to make sure that it doesn't offend someone with a different opinion on the topic.

Ok...I have no idea what this has to do with anything I am saying.

QuoteAnd by the way, I've spent my entire life hearing about how fucking awesome learning about wars, military prowess, politics, etc., are compared to mundane life. How unimportant my area of interst is to "the grand scheme of things".

And all I am saying how tiresome it is for people to say the very things that made you upset.  That is my entire beef here.  It happens all the time I don't really get how it adds anything. 

QuoteSo you'll have to forgive me if I don't bend over backwards in apology for actually saying, "Yeah, not that interesting. There's massive amounts of stuff on it, and I don't really care."

Well you sure showed me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on October 02, 2013, 01:12:37 PM
Well you sure showed me.

I wasn't trying to "show you" anything. I was telling mongers how cool I thought his article was and why.

mongers

Sometimes, maybe often, there's little utility to be had from starting new threads here. 

Should I answer some of the 'savage' (:rolleyes) :criticism, myself and Meri have been challenged with or maybe instead I decided to do something else for half an hour whilst one or two others here continued to take pot shots?
See my post in the 'out and about' thread.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

I wish that I could have joined you. :hug:

Anyway, who are you going to meet with tomorrow? You never said.

Malthus

Somehow, we have strayed somewhat from bits of Indonesia exploding.  :hmm:

We could go back to it, by remarking that a nice eruption makes for glorious sunsets, making going outside for a stroll more interesting.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on October 02, 2013, 01:28:20 PM
Well you sure showed me.

I wasn't trying to "show you" anything. I was telling mongers how cool I thought his article was and why.

YOu telling Mongers how cool his article was (and it is) and why has nothing at all to do with what we were discussing here.  I was commenting on how you have been oppressed all your life by dismissive history types so like hell you are bend over and apologize now.  IN YOUR FACE and so forth.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on October 02, 2013, 02:27:00 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 02, 2013, 01:28:20 PM
Well you sure showed me.

YOu telling Mongers how cool his article was and why has nothing at all to do with what we were discussing here.  I was commenting on how you have been oppressed all your life by dismissive history types so like hell you are bend over and apologize now.  IN MY FACE and so forth.

Okay.

Valmy

frunk

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on October 02, 2013, 02:31:03 PM
Did GF hijack Valmy's account?

Not that I am aware of.  This was just something that always bothered me in reading history so I brought it up.  I full accept this turning into this shitstorm may well have been due to my communication skills as Meri said:

QuoteAnd by the way, I've spent my entire life hearing about how fucking awesome learning about wars, military prowess, politics, etc., are compared to mundane life. How unimportant my area of interst is to "the grand scheme of things".

Which is precisely what I was talking about.  Yet it went this way anyway.  Doh.  I suck.

merithyn

Quote from: merithyn on October 02, 2013, 02:18:45 PM
I wish that I could have joined you. :hug:

Anyway, who are you going to meet with tomorrow? You never said.

Damnit, Mongers! Who is it?? :contract:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.