News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Motorcyclists pull over, beat SUV driver

Started by garbon, October 01, 2013, 01:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

I have a bicycle, and am looking at learning to ride a motorcycle.  :)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 01, 2013, 07:17:09 PM

I'll see you in the obituaries.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Iormlund on October 01, 2013, 06:13:26 PM:yes:
When I'm in charge everyone who drives a SUV without mud stains will be deported to Siberia.

I guess I'll start manufacturing mud spray cans to sell to SUV drivers when you're in charge, then :)

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on October 01, 2013, 06:45:01 PM
The only thing worse than motorcyclists is bicyclists.

Where do unicyclists rate on that scale?

Razgovory

I couldn't ride a bicycle more then six blocks without falling off or crashing into things.  Sure as hell wouldn't have ridden motorcycle.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/wife-biker-husband-victim-nyc-altercation-063414964.html

QuoteWife: Biker husband is victim in NYC altercation

Shaky camera footage depicts the gory scene: A driver who police say was frightened when a group of motorcyclists swarmed his Range Rover plowed through them, striking a rider in a purple T-shirt and black helmet.

The biker, Edwin Mieses Jr., suffered broken legs and spine injuries, his wife, Dayana Mieses, said Tuesday outside a hospital.

"There's no hope for his back," Dayana Meises told reporters. "They crushed his spine. They broke it in two different places, so he will be forever, forever paralyzed."

Another man also was injured. Bikers chased after the SUV, then beat the driver, police said. A portion of the Sunday altercation, captured on a helmet-mounted camera worn by another rider, was posted online anonymously. Since then, Dayana Mieses said, the bikers have been portrayed as villains who ambushed an innocent man driving his family. But she said her husband is the victim.

"Everyone wants to blame the bikers for something this man did," she said.

Edwin Mieses, known as Jay Meezee, is an aspiring rapper from outside Boston, and the couple has two children, ages 15 and 9. Dayana Mieses told Boston station WBZ-TV that her husband got off his bike to help another rider who was struck in an initial collision with the SUV.

"When all the bikers stopped, my husband got out, parked his bike to walk over to try to help his friend," she said. "He walked over towards the front of the vehicle when, at this point, I don't know what happened: the man was scared, the man just peeled off and ran over my husband."

Mieses was part of an unauthorized motorcycle rally. The video shows a large group of bikers clustering around the Range Rover heading north on Manhattan's West Side Highway. One of the bikers then moves into the SUV's lane and rides briefly alongside it, peering in through the driver's side window. It's unclear from the video what the driver might have done to anger the motorcyclist.

The biker then cuts in front of the Range Rover and, still staring at the driver, suddenly slows down. It isn't captured on the video, but the motorcycle and SUV bumped, police said.

The motorcyclists, 20 to 30 in all, then stop on the highway, blocking the SUV's path. Some dismount and approach the vehicle. Police said some of the bikers then began damaging the Range Rover.

The video shows the SUV suddenly accelerating, bouncing over at least one of the motorcycles and its rider as others scramble to get out of the way. The cyclists give chase, pursuing the driver for about 2.5 miles. The bikers succeed in getting the SUV to stop.

The chase ended when the SUV exited the highway and got stuck in street traffic. The video shows one biker using his helmet to smash the driver's window. Police said the group then pulled the man from the SUV and beat him, although that part isn't shown on the recording posted online. The police department confirmed that the video circulating online is authentic.

The driver of the SUV, Alexian Lien, 33, was taken to a hospital where he needed stitches for his face. His wife and 2-year-old were not injured. He has not been charged. But Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said they were still investigating the incident.

"Well, it depends on what the circumstances are," Kelly said. "It depends on whether or not your vehicle is being attacked, whether or not you think you're being attacked, whether or not your wife and child's in the car. You have to look at the totality of the circumstances, and that's what we're doing."

On Tuesday, police arrested the biker they say was involved in the initial accident. Christopher Cruz, of Passaic, N.J., was charged with reckless endangerment, reckless driving, endangering the welfare of a child and menacing. Cruz, who was uninjured, was in custody awaiting arraignment Tuesday and hadn't been assigned a lawyer.

A second suspect — Allen Edwards, 42, of Queens — believed to be the man seen on video striking the Range Rover windows with his fists, surrendered to police on Tuesday. He was charged with reckless endangerment, criminal mischief and menacing. It was not immediately known if he had a lawyer.

Police are still seeking a biker seen smashing the SUV's window with his helmet.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2013, 07:16:21 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/wife-biker-husband-victim-nyc-altercation-063414964.html

QuoteWife: Biker husband is victim in NYC altercation
[snip bolded parts]

Funny part is she even contradicts herself in the interview, which I saw last night.  She complains that in the video, when you see the SUV bouncing, it's "not just a bike under it, there's a human being, too."

Said bikes are broadside, BTW.  Pretty sure even asshole bikers don't put their bikes broadside across the street unless they're crippled or blockading.  What surprises me is does NYC only incorporate violent crime when it's fatal?  If they killed the guy, probably every biker in the group would be charged with some form of homicide, so far, neither of the arrests have even included assault.
Experience bij!

HVC

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 01, 2013, 07:17:09 PM
Skins highly over rated anyway
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on October 01, 2013, 11:29:28 PM

:lol:

Nobody uses that as a mode of transport.  Although this weekend I did see some clown unicycling through a park.  I wonder what his deal was?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on October 02, 2013, 08:07:33 AM
Quote from: Jacob on October 01, 2013, 11:29:28 PM

:lol:

Nobody uses that as a mode of transport.  Although this weekend I did see some clown unicycling through a park.  I wonder what his deal was?

I'm pretty sure there are some annoying people who do. I remember one guy in SF.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

There is a guy at UW who rides a unicycle.  You think a bike is funny on ice, you should see this guy.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 02, 2013, 12:44:32 PM
An aspiring rapper in a Ranger Rover?  :huh:

The aspiring rapper was one of the bikers.