New York sets up special courts to handle prostitution and trafficking cases

Started by jimmy olsen, September 25, 2013, 11:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 26, 2013, 04:12:46 PM
What exactly are the current Canadian laws on selling and buying sex?

My motivation is purely academic.

Exchanging money for sex is legal.

HOWEVER

Communicating a desire to exchange money for sex in public is not legal.  And, both living off the avails of prostitution, and "keeping a common bawdy house", are also illegal.

The way I understand it to work is that you arrange to meet someone with a fairly suggestive craigslist ad in a hotel room or other private place.  You then haggle over price and do the deed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on September 26, 2013, 04:37:09 PM
And, both living off the avails of prostitution, and "keeping a common bawdy house", are also illegal.

So OK as a second job?  :P

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 26, 2013, 04:53:00 PM
And, both living off the avails of prostitution, and "keeping a common bawdy house", are also illegal.

Sadly, no. :P

s. 212(1)(j) "Everyone who lives wholly or in part on the avails of prostitution of another person is guilty of an indictable offence..."
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on September 26, 2013, 04:57:47 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 26, 2013, 04:53:00 PM

Sadly, no. :P

s. 212(1)(j) "Everyone who lives wholly or in part on the avails of prostitution of another person is guilty of an indictable offence..."

I suspect he meant for the hooker.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Iormlund

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Look, I know this is my solution to everything, but nationalize it.

1)Destroy unregulated competition that causes harm.
2)Increase employment.
3)Increase aggregate demand.
4)Provide valuable public service.  I prefer single-payer, but that's probably politically impossible.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2013, 09:19:34 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 26, 2013, 09:19:03 PM
Is it still shameful?

Hmm?

As a general rule.  I mean, let's say Meri is single.  Would she date a dude that admitted to frequenting or even occasionally hiring the services of a prostitute?  Perhaps I'd be surprised, but I suspect the answer would be no--and Meri is about as libertine as a mainstream American gets.

I am also interested in your answer to the question.
Kinemalogue

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall