News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Action movie leads

Started by Slargos, May 30, 2009, 04:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

IMO, the golden age of action movies died when big hitters like Stallone, Schwarzenegger and Eastwood stopped making movies or in the case of Eastwood started making angry oldtimer movies.

People like Vin Diesel or the Rock simply can't replace them.

It recently was revealed to me that another Conan movie is in the making, and I am at a loss as to who I could possibly accept playing the Cimmerian.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Discuss.

Admiral Yi

Hugh Jackman is probably the best of the bunch.  Eric Bania could do more action if he wanted to.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Slargos on May 30, 2009, 04:54:14 PM
or in the case of Eastwood started making angry oldtimer movies.

Discuss.

Get off my lawn.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

The Rock must fucking die. The Rock? I mean...WTF? He was no Hulk Hogan to begin with but the fucking Rock?
Vin Diesel was alright though....but he fucked up big style somewhere along the line.

But yeah. The whole 'action movie' thing is very 80s.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Barrister on May 30, 2009, 05:47:37 PM
I quite like the Rock.
I agree. :yes:  Once again our retarded Northern English member is in the wrong.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

Movies that aren't star vehicles tend to be better anyway.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

I quite like the Rock.

Me too.  I don't think he'd make a good Conan, but mainly because I'd rather see a Conan based on Robert E. Howard's Conan rather than a Conan based on John Milius's Conan.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Vin Diesel messed up after the 1st The Fast & The Furious movie by starting to believe he was a 20 millions $ a movie actor. Got him no work for years.

To answer your question, probably Christian Bale. If it's remotely action it's him nowadays.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

I quite like the Rock.
He is okay, but cannot carry a movie, IMO.  An actor, not a "star."

I am not sure the kinds of action movies being made these days allow for "stardom."  I think that phase has passed, though it will come again.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 30, 2009, 08:25:16 PM
To answer your question, probably Christian Bale. If it's remotely action it's him nowadays.
Emo kids love his broody patheticness.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on May 30, 2009, 05:41:07 PM
But yeah. The whole 'action movie' thing is very 80s.

Yes, the "blow things up, and shoot many people" genre has been replaced by CGI driven special effects movies. Movies like Terminator 2 mark the transition from one to another.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Slargos on May 30, 2009, 04:54:14 PM
It recently was revealed to me that another Conan movie is in the making, and I am at a loss as to who I could possibly accept playing the Cimmerian.

I have no idea.  All they seem to make now is superhero movies.  Even after seeing three Xmen movies I couldn't name any of the actors.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on May 31, 2009, 02:40:11 AM
I have no idea.  All they seem to make now is superhero movies.  Even after seeing three Xmen movies I couldn't name any of the actors.

:lol:

Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan and Hugh Jackman aren't exactly unknown actors.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

That guy from T4 and the new batman.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"