News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obamacare and you

Started by Jacob, September 25, 2013, 12:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the impact of Obamacare for you (and your family)? Assuming it doesn't get defunded or delayed, of course...

I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
9 (14.1%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
5 (7.8%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
6 (9.4%)
My state is embracing Obamacare, but I have no clue how it will impact me personally.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
0 (0%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
7 (10.9%)
My state is rejecting Obamacare and I have no idea how Obamacare is going to impact me.
1 (1.6%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me, but I'm watching how the whole thing plays out with interest.
20 (31.3%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me and frankly I don't care.
8 (12.5%)
Some other option because the previous 10 were not enough...
6 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on November 12, 2014, 03:05:01 PM
Berkut hates transparent government.  His journey toward the dark side is complete.

I think transaprent government would be great. But I am not going to single out Obamacare as being the example of it not existing. None of it is transparent, because our system punishes transparency...mostly because of an electorate that is largely ignorant.

And Spicey, your tribe is by far, BY FAR, the more to blame for the embrace of ignorance and stupidity as a noble virtue.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: citizen k on November 12, 2014, 02:39:51 PM
Gruber isn't relevant? He's one of the architects of the ACA.  :rolleyes:

The architects of the ACA were Heritage and Mitt Romney.
And they are super non-relevant.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Is that true?  My understanding is Romneycare originated in the legislature and he signed it somewhat grudgingly.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2014, 03:42:28 PM
Is that true?  My understanding is Romneycare originated in the legislature and he signed it somewhat grudgingly.

So his right hand was reluctant but his left hand made him do it?   ;)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 12, 2014, 03:44:09 PM
So his right hand was reluctant but his left hand made him do it?   ;)

I don't get it.  Are you unfamiliar with the concept of going along with something grudgingly?

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on November 12, 2014, 03:13:29 PM
I think transaprent government would be great. But I am not going to single out Obamacare as being the example of it not existing. None of it is transparent, because our system punishes transparency...mostly because of an electorate that is largely ignorant.

I single out Obamacare because 1) it's about as un-transparent legislation as you can get, and 2) Obama promised unprecedented transparency when he was elected.  I'd like to think the old Berkut would have been dismayed by the lack of transparency.

QuoteAnd Spicey, your tribe is by far, BY FAR, the more to blame for the embrace of ignorance and stupidity as a noble virtue.

Now that stung :weep:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on November 12, 2014, 03:48:24 PM

I single out Obamacare because 1) it's about as un-transparent legislation as you can get,

Not even close. In fact, it "untransparency" is completely transparent. Anyone who cares at all knows exactly what was "hidden" in plain sight.

I am much more concerned by lack of transparency where politiciains do things like put people who feel the EPA should be disbanded in charge of the EPA, for example.

Or refuse to confirm Attorney Generals because they aren't approved by the NRA.

and 2) Obama promised unprecedented transparency when he was elected.

Oh noes. A poltician who promised something and didn't follow through to the extent that people who hate his guts say he should have. Oh dear, what a travesty of our political system.

I'd like to think the old Berkut would have been dismayed by the lack of transparency.
Every iteration of Berkut would laugh at the idea that THIS is the gold standard for offensive lack of transparency, and every one would, as always, laugh at the idea that you are motivated by anything other than your hatred for the purple drazi. You could not care less about transparency, or you would be bitching about it when it was someone other than the hated black guy supposedly doing it..but no, that isn't the case, now is it?

QuoteAnd Spicey, your tribe is by far, BY FAR, the more to blame for the embrace of ignorance and stupidity as a noble virtue.

Now that stung :weep:

I suspect you will get over it.

0 rows returned

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

I don't have many regrets in my life, but coming up with the Drazi analogy on this forum was one of them.  :( 

alfred russel

And Spicey, your tribe is by far, BY FAR, the more to blame for the embrace of ignorance and stupidity as a noble virtue.

:hmm: Those with just a high school education or less are disproportionately not in his tribe, and those with a college degree are disproportionately in it.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

sbr

Quote from: alfred russel on November 12, 2014, 04:39:45 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 12, 2014, 03:05:01 PM

:hmm: Those with just a high school education or less are disproportionately not in his tribe, and those with a college degree are disproportionately in it.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2014, 03:45:44 PM
I don't get it.  Are you unfamiliar with the concept of going along with something grudgingly?
He proposed it. Yes it was under political pressure but the essential of Romneycare were proposed by him and it was a middle way between the more state-based lower house and the far less ambitious state Senate version (they wanted to cut the number uninsured in half).

He subsequently tried to spin his way out of it rather than realising he'd always be associated with it so he might as well try and make it a virtue. But that's Romney :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on November 12, 2014, 04:23:13 PM
I don't have many regrets in my life, but coming up with the Drazi analogy on this forum was one of them.  :(
Actually, it's from Babylon 5.  I don't even think you  were a member here when that analogy was first used here.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on November 12, 2014, 07:13:46 PM
Actually, it's from Babylon 5.
Actually, Babylon 5 was a TV show.
QuoteI don't even think you  were a member here when that analogy was first used here.
I'm pretty sure that I was the one who first used it here, and yes, I was a member here at that time.  It was co-opted very quickly by the self-congratulatory duo here, though.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on November 12, 2014, 04:23:13 PM

Oh look, the fanatic is coming out to defend his fellow fanatic from the non-fanatics. What a shock.

I certainly don't regret my ability to get the nutbar left and the nutbar right to agree on *something*. MoveOn and TeaParty, united in hating on the non-tribal. :P

0 rows returned