News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obamacare and you

Started by Jacob, September 25, 2013, 12:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the impact of Obamacare for you (and your family)? Assuming it doesn't get defunded or delayed, of course...

I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
9 (14.1%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
5 (7.8%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
6 (9.4%)
My state is embracing Obamacare, but I have no clue how it will impact me personally.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
0 (0%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
7 (10.9%)
My state is rejecting Obamacare and I have no idea how Obamacare is going to impact me.
1 (1.6%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me, but I'm watching how the whole thing plays out with interest.
20 (31.3%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me and frankly I don't care.
8 (12.5%)
Some other option because the previous 10 were not enough...
6 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 63

garbon

Did any of us not have insurance? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on March 12, 2014, 09:39:56 AM
Did any of us not have insurance? :unsure:

Seedy signed up.  Not sure about Ide.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Hadn't Seeds been on Cobra before? (if so in my mind then not sure that counts as somewhat who hadn't had insurance)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

COBRA runs out a year after getting shitcanned.

derspiess

I think he did jump from COBRA to his silver or gold plan.  But it was going to run out, so he would've been uninsured otherwise.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Quote from: Savonarola on March 12, 2014, 07:40:48 AM
The administration announced that the March 31 deadline won't be extended.  Do all the Americans on this forum have some form of approved health insurance (or plans to get one by March 31)?  Is anyone planning on taking the penalty?

I have good health insurance with my company, a health care provider. But I've been looking into new plans for myself as I'm seriously considering retiring sometime this or next year.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on March 05, 2014, 09:53:46 PM
What a mess. :(

:yes:

I'm embarrassed for my country. :blush:

Quote from: Savonarola on March 12, 2014, 07:40:48 AM
The administration announced that the March 31 deadline won't be extended.  Do all the Americans on this forum have some form of approved health insurance (or plans to get one by March 31)?  Is anyone planning on taking the penalty?

At this time, we have insurance. I'm looking into whether it would be cheaper to have my oldest two boys get insurance through the exchange than through me, however. They get to piggy back on my insurance until they're 26, but because they're young and healthy (other than Carter's asthma), they may get cheaper, better insurance elsewhere. With their income, they would be subsidized.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Savonarola

Quote from: merithyn on March 12, 2014, 11:14:58 AM
At this time, we have insurance. I'm looking into whether it would be cheaper to have my oldest two boys get insurance through the exchange than through me, however. They get to piggy back on my insurance until they're 26, but because they're young and healthy (other than Carter's asthma), they may get cheaper, better insurance elsewhere. With their income, they would be subsidized.

That's good; I don't know the specifics of your situation but I've also heard that if you claim an uninsured person as a dependent you assume their penalty (and, contrary to what's been widely reported, $95 is the minimum penalty.  The actual penalty is 1% of taxable income or $95 whichever is greater.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Here are some Cover Oregon advertisements:

Live long in Oregon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2UUcXCo9g

Fly with your own wings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLpKDNVU9dA

Washington got Woody Guthrie songs for the Bonneville Power Administration.  Oregon got these.  Life is unfair in the Pacific northwest.   :(

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

KRonn

The monthly premiums of Bronze plans, the cheapest ones, in Massachusetts seem ok, though with high deductibles and copays. Most Bronze plans seem to have $2000 out of pocket per year before insurance pays, $1000 per hospital stay. So if I have that insurance I'd basically be paying for everything except if I had a hospital stay for many thousands of dollars. But that could be ok since what I most worry about is a hospital stay, given that I had nearly a week long hospital stay a year and a half ago. My insurance paid for all of that, I didn't see a bill.

I think that maybe Mass does better since the state had its own plan before the ACA kicked in, but the state didn't get a waiver from the ACA, though the Governor was urged to by legislators. I think he tried but didn't push the issue.

Then the Mass state website is apparently full of problems, huge back log, problems using the site. The same company did the state ACA changes that did the Federal site. I was able to get around ok but I didn't go so far as to sign up, didn't go too far, so it may have problems as I get further in. Another thing I worry about is the security which is said to be very poor on the Federal site. I'm hoping/thinking the Mass site is in much better shape for security since it's been up and running for years now. But the new stuff could have security holes, who knows.

MadImmortalMan

Is there anything available with a higher deductible, like 5k? Does it lower the premiums significantly?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

KRonn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 13, 2014, 11:53:57 AM
Is there anything available with a higher deductible, like 5k? Does it lower the premiums significantly?

Bronze are the lowest tier, ranging from in the three hundreds up to over 500. I didn't see anything with 5k deductibles and I would think those would be in the Bronze plans, the cheapest priced but you should pay more out of pocket.
Plans are Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum. I checked the Gold plans and they're two or three hundred more in monthly premiums (500 or more) and have half the yearly deductible ($1000) than the Bronze plans. Silver plans are in the middle, a bit cheaper premiums, but some still with $2000 deductibles. So I think that's about the breakdown. I could even go with a Gold or Silver plan I think. Premiums can vary a lot even within the same categories, up to a few hundred per month.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 13, 2014, 11:53:57 AM

This site is good for finding basic info.

In Texas, the Bronze plans are in the $5k - $6k range.  Seems to cut the premium roughly in half.

Admiral Yi

If qualified plans have 5k deductibles, it makes me wonder what in the hell those non-qualified plans were offering.  :huh:

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2014, 02:29:03 PM
If qualified plans have 5k deductibles, it makes me wonder what in the hell those non-qualified plans were offering.  :huh:
Peace of mind while you're healthy?  :hmm: