News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obamacare and you

Started by Jacob, September 25, 2013, 12:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the impact of Obamacare for you (and your family)? Assuming it doesn't get defunded or delayed, of course...

I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
9 (14.1%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
5 (7.8%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
6 (9.4%)
My state is embracing Obamacare, but I have no clue how it will impact me personally.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
0 (0%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
7 (10.9%)
My state is rejecting Obamacare and I have no idea how Obamacare is going to impact me.
1 (1.6%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me, but I'm watching how the whole thing plays out with interest.
20 (31.3%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me and frankly I don't care.
8 (12.5%)
Some other option because the previous 10 were not enough...
6 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on February 26, 2014, 11:44:04 AM
In very vague terms, here's SpiessCare:
Expand Medicare to provide bare-bones health coverage to the poors (I know Obamacare sort of does this).  Encourage HSA participation, deregulate the hell out of private health insurance.  Eliminate the individual mandate but make it difficult to get treatment unless you have health insurance or cash.

:blink:

I work for a health insurance company and I disagree with the bolded bit.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on February 26, 2014, 11:53:56 AM

I'm sure you do.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2014, 11:29:35 AM
Quote from: derspiess on February 26, 2014, 11:28:44 AM
You wouldn't like it.

I will like whatever works.  Well ok within reason, I suppose we can always just kill all humans.

Expand Medicare to provide bare-bones health coverage to the poors (I know Obamacare sort of does this).  Encourage HSA participation, deregulate the hell out of private health insurance.  Eliminate the individual mandate but make it difficult to get treatment unless you have health insurance or cash.

That doesn't really sound like it's going to work unless you really get serious about allowing people to die from lack of treatment.

Health care is one of those really tough public policy issues.  Obamacare is flawed, but single payer has some serious flaws as well.  I don't know if anyone has figured out a really good system that provides good care and keeps costs under control as well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Man I don't know how they can encourage HSA's anymore than they already do.  Those things are pretty sweet. 

This would definitely get the costs under control I just question its political viability.  The problem has always been: what happens when Bob McPennyless shows up in the emergency room suffering from a heart attack or something?  The problem is the answer of 'tough cookies buddy' just doesn't seem to fly and that undermines most non-Commie solutions.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on February 26, 2014, 11:54:48 AM
Quote from: merithyn on February 26, 2014, 11:53:56 AM

I'm sure you do.

Well yeah it is an industry that profits from NOT providing services.  That can provide some pretty perverse outcomes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

I suppose the hospital could have some little bit of leeway to save Bob's life in that scenario.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on February 26, 2014, 12:05:36 PM
I suppose the hospital could have some little bit of leeway to save Bob's life in that scenario.
Well, here you go.  Now you're successfully back to square one.

Jacob

The derspiess plan sounds like plenty of people will die from preventable causes and lots of issues will go un- or under-treated. The combination of deregulation (meaning people can be excluded from plans and the ignorant can be taken advantage of) and making it harder to get treatment unless yourbplan allows it or you have ready cash will lead to fewer people getting the healthcare they need.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on February 26, 2014, 12:08:08 PM

I said make it difficult, not impossible.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on February 26, 2014, 12:11:05 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 26, 2014, 12:08:08 PM

I said make it difficult, not impossible.

From a systems point of view difficult simply means 2 in 10 will get what they need, while impossible means 0 in 10 will.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on February 26, 2014, 12:10:22 PM
The derspiess plan sounds like plenty of people will die from preventable causes and lots of issues will go un- or under-treated. The combination of deregulation (meaning people can be excluded from plans and the ignorant can be taken advantage of) will lead to fewer people getting the healthcare they need.

But you understand what concern he has though - that under current systems people have fewer incentives to actually take care of their own health.  You can be a smoker for 40 years, never have insurance, then be diagnosed with throat cancer and be guaranteed treatment.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

The derspiess plan sounds like plenty of people will die from preventable causes and lots of issues will go un- or under-treated.

To be fair this is already a big problem.  Dealing with doing any sort of medical thing, with all the bureaucracy and expense and nonsense, is something we all tend to avoid as much as we can.

celedhring

The derspiess plan sounds like plenty of people will die from preventable causes and lots of issues will go un- or under-treated. The combination of deregulation (meaning people can be excluded from plans and the ignorant can be taken advantage of) and making it harder to get treatment unless yourbplan allows it or you have ready cash will lead to fewer people getting the healthcare they need.

Once as a society you decide that everybody should have healthcare, honestly a universal system is the best. Most countries in Europe (dunno about Canada, but I suspect it will happen there too), provide universal healthcare for a similar % of GNP (or even less) than the US devotes to their very limited public healthcare programs (pre-ACA).

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on February 26, 2014, 12:13:07 PM
The derspiess plan sounds like plenty of people will die from preventable causes and lots of issues will go un- or under-treated. The combination of deregulation (meaning people can be excluded from plans and the ignorant can be taken advantage of) will lead to fewer people getting the healthcare they need.

But you understand what concern he has though - that under current systems people have fewer incentives to actually take care of their own health.  You can be a smoker for 40 years, never have insurance, then be diagnosed with throat cancer and be guaranteed treatment.

I think not dying of cancer is a fine incentive.