News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obamacare and you

Started by Jacob, September 25, 2013, 12:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the impact of Obamacare for you (and your family)? Assuming it doesn't get defunded or delayed, of course...

I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
9 (14.1%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
5 (7.8%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
6 (9.4%)
My state is embracing Obamacare, but I have no clue how it will impact me personally.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
0 (0%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
7 (10.9%)
My state is rejecting Obamacare and I have no idea how Obamacare is going to impact me.
1 (1.6%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me, but I'm watching how the whole thing plays out with interest.
20 (31.3%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me and frankly I don't care.
8 (12.5%)
Some other option because the previous 10 were not enough...
6 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 14, 2013, 11:19:49 AM
11B has no boyz.  He's in the middle & slings shit at both sides.

Raz would say he lacks moral courage.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2013, 12:10:33 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 13, 2013, 11:50:56 PM
The urgency of working on it right away was that Republicans were going to be dead set against significant reform, and Obama needed to take advantage of majorities in both houses (and at least for a while a supermajority in the senate) plus his post election popularity. Even with those factors it barely passed.

Yeah.  He had a mandate to do something and he was handed a majority to do it.  And it was a complete failure.

I really doubt it was a complete failure.

The website may have been a failure, but that is short term. People are losing health care plans that don't meet certain standards, but that was part of the plan.

I suspect the major issue in the near term is that the penalties for the individual mandate are way too low and will seriously jack up costs. But if that doesn't really derail the plan and we muddle through, then the penalties will increase and that problem will work itself out. I don't see any other issue that causes me to think that over the long term Obamacare will fail.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on November 14, 2013, 12:09:20 PM

Well ok not a complete failure, it does a few good things.  I will call it...90% of a failure.  This reform will not solve most of the problems it was supposed to fix.  Prices will continue to rise and we will continue to be in crisis.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2013, 11:36:26 AM

It's true, he does.  He's not so much in the middle as being against everything.  It's a safe position to take, you can look like someone who has an interest in politics without actually being for something.  If you aren't for something, you can never be wrong.  You never have to worry about the embarrassment or heart break that comes with being wrong.  Politics is a bit like dating, you have to invest some of yourself and you'll likely get burned sometimes.  The cynic that laughs at everyone else but stand for nothing is like a person who doesn't have the courage to get in a relationship because of fear of rejection.  Instead he just goes home and jerks off.  The cynic does the same thing, except instead of massaging his gentiles he massages his ego by laughing at others who were foolish enough to support an idea or person.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

I suspect the major issue in the near term is that the penalties for the individual mandate are way too low and will seriously jack up costs. But if that doesn't really derail the plan and we muddle through, then the penalties will increase and that problem will work itself out. I don't see any other issue that causes me to think that over the long term Obamacare will fail.

There is a chance that if penalties are raised enough, a popular backlash could develop against Obamacare.

I think it has helped Obamacare politically up to this point, and will hurt it going forward, that the targets of the individual mandate tend to be less politically aware.  At least that is my impression.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2013, 12:11:13 PM

Well ok not a complete failure, it does a few good things.  I will call it...90% of a failure.  This reform will not solve most of the problems it was supposed to fix.  Prices will continue to rise and we will continue to be in crisis.

Obamacare is a long term restructuring of health care and key parts that haven't been implemented yet. I'd give it time.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2013, 12:15:38 PM

There is a chance that if penalties are raised enough, a popular backlash could develop against Obamacare.

I think it has helped Obamacare politically up to this point, and will hurt it going forward, that the targets of the individual mandate tend to be less politically aware.  At least that is my impression.

On the flip side, there are significant subsidies available to many people that people seem to be unaware of.

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on November 14, 2013, 12:25:42 PM

Obamacare is a long term restructuring of health care and key parts that haven't been implemented yet. I'd give it time.

How much?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on November 14, 2013, 12:27:03 PM
On the flip side, there are significant subsidies available to many people that people seem to be unaware of.

Right, and that's a political question.  Well lower income mandatees think "gee, I'm getting $2,000 worth of insurance for only $1,500," or will they think "that fucker is forcing me to spend $1,500 I could have spent on booze."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2013, 12:10:33 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 13, 2013, 11:50:56 PM
The urgency of working on it right away was that Republicans were going to be dead set against significant reform, and Obama needed to take advantage of majorities in both houses (and at least for a while a supermajority in the senate) plus his post election popularity. Even with those factors it barely passed.

Yeah.  He had a mandate to do something and he was handed a majority to do it.  And it was a complete failure.

The website may have been a failure, but that is short term. People are losing health care plans that don't meet certain standards, but that was part of the plan.

Not related to your post, but we still want answers! :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on November 14, 2013, 12:30:03 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 14, 2013, 12:25:42 PM

How much?

I'm not an expert on this at all, but from what I know I'd say 5 years. For Obamacare to really work you need functioning exchanges and significant mandates. There probably also needs to be some loss experience for actuaries to base rates off of, and some time for people to become familiar with their options. I don't think we will have significant mandates for another 4 years (I could be completely wrong on that).

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on November 14, 2013, 12:11:56 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2013, 11:36:26 AM

It's true, he does.  He's not so much in the middle as being against everything.  It's a safe position to take, you can look like someone who has an interest in politics without actually being for something.  If you aren't for something, you can never be wrong.  You never have to worry about the embarrassment or heart break that comes with being wrong.  Politics is a bit like dating, you have to invest some of yourself and you'll likely get burned sometimes.  The cynic that laughs at everyone else but stand for nothing is like a person who doesn't have the courage to get in a relationship because of fear of rejection.  Instead he just goes home and jerks off.  The cynic does the same thing, except instead of massaging his gentiles he massages his ego by laughing at others who were foolish enough to support an idea or person.

STFU basement boy.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on November 14, 2013, 12:38:41 PM
I'm not an expert on this at all, but from what I know I'd say 5 years. For Obamacare to really work you need functioning exchanges and significant mandates. There probably also needs to be some loss experience for actuaries to base rates off of, and some time for people to become familiar with their options. I don't think we will have significant mandates for another 4 years (I could be completely wrong on that).

Okay.  What are the metrics, in general terms?

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on November 14, 2013, 07:45:01 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on November 13, 2013, 09:21:28 PM
They're mad because their boyz signature legislation is a clusterfuck. Oh, and they have no arguement for his lies to the American people.

It is so cute to see you repeat, over and over again, the fact that a politician lied, as though your boyz aren't liars as well.  Doesn't matter which party they are in, if they are a politician or an officer in the NRA, they are a liar.  The sooner you stopped being shocked by that fact, the sooner you will stop sounding like a repetitive drone.

The NRA are my boyz????? The Tea Party??? Who is it, since you think you know.

and when the NRA comes back in the news, does something stupid, which they will, I'll bash them.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".