News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obamacare and you

Started by Jacob, September 25, 2013, 12:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the impact of Obamacare for you (and your family)? Assuming it doesn't get defunded or delayed, of course...

I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
9 (14.1%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
5 (7.8%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
6 (9.4%)
My state is embracing Obamacare, but I have no clue how it will impact me personally.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
0 (0%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
7 (10.9%)
My state is rejecting Obamacare and I have no idea how Obamacare is going to impact me.
1 (1.6%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me, but I'm watching how the whole thing plays out with interest.
20 (31.3%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me and frankly I don't care.
8 (12.5%)
Some other option because the previous 10 were not enough...
6 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 63

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2013, 10:50:20 PM
I don't know that it is worse and I guess people being forced to have it might gear us up for a more sensible system. I think I said before though that I don't know enough to say whether or not it is an okay basis.

I accept that I may have a very skewed view of all of this since I work in the health/healthcare insurance field. On top of that, I went 18 months without insurance, and I'm still paying off the $10,000 that cost me. (I couldn't get private insurance since I have a history of high blood pressure.) Making healthcare available to everyone has been very important to me for a lot of reasons.

QuoteI would think probably Obama's legacy was why it was suddenly important.

Yeah, I'd go along with that. I'm not sure what the crisis was either, but I thought it was pretty important, so I'm willing to accept what came from the "crisis."

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

alfred russel

I think the crisis was well known and long term....we spend far more than almost every other countries on healthcare, seem to lack better outcomes than other industrialized countries, and fail to provide a large segment of our population access to healthcare.

The urgency of working on it right away was that Republicans were going to be dead set against significant reform, and Obama needed to take advantage of majorities in both houses (and at least for a while a supermajority in the senate) plus his post election popularity. Even with those factors it barely passed.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on November 13, 2013, 11:50:56 PM
I think the crisis was well known and long term....we spend far more than almost every other countries on healthcare, seem to lack better outcomes than other industrialized countries, and fail to provide a large segment of our population access to healthcare.

Yeah but that wasn't something new or suddenly pressing.

The urgency of working on it right away was that Republicans were going to be dead set against significant reform, and Obama needed to take advantage of majorities in both houses (and at least for a while a supermajority in the senate) plus his post election popularity. Even with those factors it barely passed.

I don't. I almost wonder if Obama was one of our least auspicious presidents to have work on such an important venture.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Yeah.  He had a mandate to do something and he was handed a majority to do it.  And it was a complete failure.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on November 13, 2013, 10:47:03 PM
Yeah, I never understood that either.  The whole healthcare 'crisis' thing seemed to come out of nowhere.  First the economy was a big crisis (which I think was entirely accurate to say), but then out of left field it was all OMG HEALTHCARE IS BROKEN WE NEED TO FIX IT NOWNOWNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Before like 2008 nobody really talked about healthcare being so broken since Bill and Hillary's first term when they had tried to fix it. :hmm:

:mellow: except the system has been recognized as a failure for a long time.  Before the economy fell apart Barack Obama and Hilary Clinton were debating how to fix it during their primary.  The deficiencies of the current system caused George W. Bush to try patch it with Medicare part D.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2013, 12:01:40 AM

Yeah but that wasn't something new or suddenly pressing.

I don't. I almost wonder if Obama was one of our least auspicious presidents to have work on such an important venture.

What would make it pressing in your book garbon?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on November 14, 2013, 12:20:52 AM
Quote from: Caliga on November 13, 2013, 10:47:03 PM
Yeah, I never understood that either.  The whole healthcare 'crisis' thing seemed to come out of nowhere.  First the economy was a big crisis (which I think was entirely accurate to say), but then out of left field it was all OMG HEALTHCARE IS BROKEN WE NEED TO FIX IT NOWNOWNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Before like 2008 nobody really talked about healthcare being so broken since Bill and Hillary's first term when they had tried to fix it. :hmm:

:mellow: except the system has been recognized as a failure for a long time.  Before the economy fell apart Barack Obama and Hilary Clinton were debating how to fix it during their primary.  The deficiencies of the current system caused George W. Bush to try patch it with Medicare part D.

Yeah I am not sure where Cal got that from.  The system is dangerously broken and could tank the entire economy and ruin the Federal budget.  It needed reform.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on November 13, 2013, 09:21:28 PM
They're mad because their boyz signature legislation is a clusterfuck. Oh, and they have no arguement for his lies to the American people.

It was a clusterfuck the minute it was past.  If the clusterfuck is the website thing...well I am not sure how that is a big deal big rollouts like this are almost always minor disasters.  Something huge like this was going to have a rough start no matter what, even if it was genius legislation.

As for the lies...well I guess I am somewhat happy people actually care about that.  The guy lied his ass off in 2008 and nobody really gave a flip.  Obama is pretty worthless as a President.  I am shocked about how badly he has done, not even in my wildest 2009 nightmares did I think he would be this putrid. 

citizen k

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2013, 12:40:06 AM
The system is dangerously broken and could tank the entire economy and ruin the Federal budget.  It needed reform.

And instead we got the ACA which does next to nothing in slowing down the upward trajectory of healthcare costs.

Valmy

Quote from: citizen k on November 14, 2013, 12:50:33 AM
The system is dangerously broken and could tank the entire economy and ruin the Federal budget.  It needed reform.

And instead we got the ACA which does next to nothing in slowing down the upward trajectory of healthcare costs.

To say the Democrats fucked that up would be a massive understatement.  They could have done anything they wanted.  It just boggles the mind. 

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on November 13, 2013, 07:00:26 PM
It's disgusting how so many Americans are cheering for failure, and hoping for changes that they know would make Obamacare more likely to fail.  Who needs external enemies with patriots like that?

Indeed. It is as bad as some of the Dems trying to sabotage the Iraq War, with threats to pull funding, trying to pass resolutions forcing withdrawal, etc., etc.

Of course, the difference is that the crazies in the Dem Party never managed to actually get the rest of the party to go along with it, for the most part (at least in any actual practical sense). But the disgust is still just as disgusting, even if they were not as successful.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

The Democrats are more moderate and less vulnerable to populist crusades....for now anyway.  Radicalism seems to be growing in strength on both sides.  Probably not unexplected given the failures of the establishment.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2013, 12:54:03 AM
Quote from: citizen k on November 14, 2013, 12:50:33 AM

To say the Democrats fucked that up would be a massive understatement.  They could have done anything they wanted.  It just boggles the mind.

Except in reality they could not.  To get any bill passed they needed get pass obstuctionists in the house and Senate and the sheer hatred that Republicans had for the President and all his works took them by surprise so a lot of Dems were afraid to vote for any bill.  Not that it helped them much, the Dems that opposed it tended to get beaten in 2010 if they voted for ACA or not.

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on November 13, 2013, 09:21:28 PM
They're mad because their boyz signature legislation is a clusterfuck. Oh, and they have no arguement for his lies to the American people.

It is so cute to see you repeat, over and over again, the fact that a politician lied, as though your boyz aren't liars as well.  Doesn't matter which party they are in, if they are a politician or an officer in the NRA, they are a liar.  The sooner you stopped being shocked by that fact, the sooner you will stop sounding like a repetitive drone.

And, yes, Obamacare is as fucked up as Bushcare was, though for different reasons.  The difference is that Bushcare offered no hope of improvement, while Obamacare offers a small hope of improvement.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Yeah I am not sure where Cal got that from.  The system is dangerously broken and could tank the entire economy and ruin the Federal budget.  It needed reform.
I'm not disputing that.  What I am saying is that prior to ~2008 I don't recall politicians and the media bleating on about healthcare being broken and needing fixing, but all the sudden there was a firestorm of that around the time of the election and then immediately afterward, especially after the focus on the economy/banking crisis started to subside.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points