Question for Carrot and maybe others re: New Jersey

Started by Caliga, September 25, 2013, 12:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quiet pretty much sums it up.  It's off Route 9 in Little Egg Harbor Township- in that part of Ocean County, even Route 9 is sparse to moderate housing along the road.  Seems like it's less dense with condos and crap than places like Sea Bright or Sandy Hook further north, but it also seems like developers are trying to change that.  Also, a word of warning: not sure how your parents are about beaches, but they almost ALL require beach tags now, and shorefront property has a nasty habit of coming with a homeowner's association who build that into the price of membership.

Speaking of, there's not actually too much in the way of shorefront housing in Mystic Island proper; would this be Osborne Island/Bogan's Cove that they're looking into?  Most of the rest of the waterfront seems to be wetlands, which is protected in NJ and unlikely to be developed.  NVM.  I just looked a little closer and saw that they've dug down into the water for the other housing in Mystic Island proper.

Still, I don't see the waterfront utopia they're seeing.  In Mystic Island, your front yard is the road, your back yard is the dock, and odds are your view is about 20-30 like houses across the "way."  It's not like Fortescue or the other Delaware Bay communities, which are more classical stilted houses along beaches.
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 26, 2013, 07:46:22 AM
Does Shitgoat play there?

Shitgoat hasn't even played in Kain's basement since 2005.  Carolus is too busy chasing pussy on the golf green.
Experience bij!

katmai

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 26, 2013, 07:53:10 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 26, 2013, 07:46:22 AM
Does Shitgoat play there?

Shitgoat hasn't even played in Kain's basement since 2005. Carolus is too busy chasing pussy on the golf green.

Pretty sure he caught one.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 26, 2013, 07:41:07 AM
Quiet pretty much sums it up.  It's off Route 9 in Little Egg Harbor Township- in that part of Ocean County, even Route 9 is sparse to moderate housing along the road.  Seems like it's less dense with condos and crap than places like Sea Bright or Sandy Hook further north, but it also seems like developers are trying to change that.  Also, a word of warning: not sure how your parents are about beaches, but they almost ALL require beach tags now, and shorefront property has a nasty habit of coming with a homeowner's association who build that into the price of membership.

Speaking of, there's not actually too much in the way of shorefront housing in Mystic Island proper; would this be Osborne Island/Bogan's Cove that they're looking into?  Most of the rest of the waterfront seems to be wetlands, which is protected in NJ and unlikely to be developed.  NVM.  I just looked a little closer and saw that they've dug down into the water for the other housing in Mystic Island proper.

Still, I don't see the waterfront utopia they're seeing.  In Mystic Island, your front yard is the road, your back yard is the dock, and odds are your view is about 20-30 like houses across the "way."  It's not like Fortescue or the other Delaware Bay communities, which are more classical stilted houses along beaches.
Thanks for your feedback dude. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

The parents headed back to south Jersey this morning to meet with realtors and look at this house again and some other ones too.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Caliga on September 25, 2013, 06:48:25 PM
:mad: I used to live on LBI during the summer when I was a kid.  My uncle owns 4 houses on the island nowadays.

Call em as I see em.
Beaches looked nice but the towns themselves are kind of non-descript.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Well TBH I'd much rather they be looking at properties someplace warmer, but they're too stubborn to ever consider that.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on September 26, 2013, 09:07:38 AM
Well TBH I'd much rather they be looking at properties someplace warmer, but they're too stubborn to ever consider that.

It depends on when they want to use it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on September 26, 2013, 09:20:09 AM
Well, at least they aren't moving to Newark.  ;)
Are you kidding?  Like true Philadelphians, they hate north Jersey. :)

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 26, 2013, 09:17:46 AM
It depends on when they want to use it.
Right now, the plan is to keep their main house and use it as a summer home, and eventually sell their main house and move there full-time.  That might sound strange to most of you (and it does to me too), but my grandmother LOVED to go to her Jersey shore house in the winter for some reason.  It doesn't snow as much down there, for one thing--in the winter when it'd be snowing at our house it would usually be raining at hers.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Yeah. :P

It's also kind of weird to me that my dad is cool with this, as he's a super-conservative government hating type, and New Jersey has one of the highest tax burdens in the nation. :hmm:

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on September 26, 2013, 09:32:18 AM
Yeah. :P

It's also kind of weird to me that my dad is cool with this, as he's a super-conservative government hating type, and New Jersey has one of the highest tax burdens in the nation. :hmm:
Well, those super high tax burdens in the form of property taxes do have some effects that super-conservatives generally desire.  :ph34r: