Question for Carrot and maybe others re: New Jersey

Started by Caliga, September 25, 2013, 12:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

So my parents are talking about buying a shore house, which is something they've been doing for years but they're actually meeting with realtors and stuff now, and then sending listings to my brother and I.

They seem to really like this one property in a town called Mystic Island, which looks to be about halfway between AC and Manahawkin.  My brother and I never heard of the place and he googled it and was reading what he felt were negative 'reviews' of it.  Carrot, do you know anything about that place?

...and no, folks, no chance of them buying a shore house in another part of the country.  My mother is convinced the Jersey Shore is Nirvana and won't look anywhere else... she even tried to tell me that New Jersey shore real estate is cheaper than the same in Florida. :lol:  I even gave her examples showing that wasn't the case, but given her fixation my attempts were pretty half-hearted.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on September 25, 2013, 12:22:09 PM
she even tried to tell me that New Jersey shore real estate is cheaper than the same in Florida. :lol: 

It should be. Not much point to paying a premium for a beach house if the water is cold most of the time.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

It's not, though, assuming you're comparing apples to apples (e.g. comparing a working class Jersey town to a working class Florida town)... of course it's expensive as balls in Palm Beach, Miami Beach, Key West, etc.

The Minsky Moment

I spent a few days in Cape May, which was very nice.
the other parts of the shore I saw were petty underwhelming though.  Didn't see Mystic Island, but I did swing through LBI (the nearby barrier island) and was not greatly impressed.

Looking at the map, it appears to abut against the wildlife preserve which is swampland.
I would be very wary about buying (as opposed to renting) because one nasty storm or a few feet of sea level rise could cause pretty big problems.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

I go to Cape May/Wildwood Crest every summer but that's a bit further south.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 25, 2013, 05:19:45 PM
the other parts of the shore I saw were petty underwhelming though.  Didn't see Mystic Island, but I did swing through LBI (the nearby barrier island) and was not greatly impressed.

Looking at the map, it appears to abut against the wildlife preserve which is swampland.
I would be very wary about buying (as opposed to renting) because one nasty storm or a few feet of sea level rise could cause pretty big problems.
Yeah, I would definitely check with insurance agent before buying.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on September 25, 2013, 05:38:03 PM

Yeah, I would definitely check with insurance agent before buying.

Shock.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

:huh: I'm not in insurance agency business.  I am, however, in the business of pricing property insurance, and am aware that getting property insurance in the beach areas can be very problematic (for a good reason).

Caliga

:mad: I used to live on LBI during the summer when I was a kid.  My uncle owns 4 houses on the island nowadays.

Yeah I have concerns about the swamp which I'm in the middle of relaying to my parents now via email.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2013, 05:29:18 PM
I go to Cape May/Wildwood Crest every summer but that's a bit further south.
I swung through Cape May a few summers back on my way to Lewes via the ferry and it seemed nice.  Lewes was very nice.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on September 25, 2013, 06:20:16 PM
:huh: I'm not in insurance agency business.  I am, however, in the business of pricing property insurance, and am aware that getting property insurance in the beach areas can be very problematic (for a good reason).

No, but you make insurance agents look like daredevils.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 25, 2013, 07:29:33 PM

:)

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 25, 2013, 07:29:33 PM

Is that supposed to be an insult?  Taking pointless risks is definitely not a positive trait in my line of work.

Eddie Teach

Just explaining garbon's comment since you seemed to think it was an accusation of shilling.

Caliga

One neat thing:  the place they're looking at the most closely has a dock so we could visit my uncle up in Ship Bottom by taking a boat. :cool:  I just plotted it on Google Earth and it's like 20 1/2 miles.