News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How far would you travel to meet an author?

Started by merithyn, September 25, 2013, 11:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2013, 03:20:45 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 02, 2013, 03:23:26 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 02, 2013, 10:32:53 AM
Max got to ask him some questions about one of his big epic novels, too.

Did you pass on my regards and my request that he not take so long with his next book?

bump  :mad:

I think Sanderson said that the next book will be out in March, but I could be confusing that with another one all together. He's working on something like four projects at the moment.

No, we did not pass on anyone's regards. As it was, I hogged most of the time, and then had to - shame-facedly - get back in line so that Max had time to ask him his own questions.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2013, 03:22:39 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 03, 2013, 03:21:56 PM
I told him he could take as long as he wants. No rush.

Thankfully you were talking to your cat.

She doesn't appreciate being referred to as "him".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2013, 03:23:20 PM
I hogged most of the time, and then had to - shame-facedly - get back in line so that Max had time to ask him his own questions.

:lol:

Kleves

Sanderson's coming to Seattle in a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll check it out.  :hmm:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

merithyn

Quote from: Kleves on October 03, 2013, 05:02:53 PM
Sanderson's coming to Seattle in a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll check it out.  :hmm:

He's fun. I think you'll like him. :)

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Suck it Raz

http://www.thehugoawards.org/

QuoteBEST NOVELLA

The Emperor's Soul, Brandon Sanderson (Tachyon Publications)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

merithyn

The issue with Sanderson is that he's really irregular. The Mistborn Series is wonderful, imo. Worth reading over and over again. I just read his new book, Steelheart, and it was cute. Nothing phenomenal, but worth the read. I couldn't through the first 50 pages of Elantris.

Ed Anger

I'd walk a thousand miles for pearls of wisdom from John Norman.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: merithyn on October 07, 2013, 08:58:36 AM
The issue with Sanderson is that he's really irregular. The Mistborn Series is wonderful, imo. Worth reading over and over again. I just read his new book, Steelheart, and it was cute. Nothing phenomenal, but worth the read. I couldn't through the first 50 pages of Elantris.
Steelheart's YA isn't it though?

Elantris was his first book, definitely rough. If you read his stuff in order you can see the steady improvement.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

merithyn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 07, 2013, 09:26:13 AM

Elantris was his first book, definitely rough. If you read his stuff in order you can see the steady improvement.

I disagree. His first book, Elantris, sucked. His second book, Mistborn, was incredible. The Way of Kings (one of the first books he started writing, though it wasn't published until he finished the WoT stuff) is okay. I'm about 50 pages in and I want to keep reading it, but it's not blowing my socks off.

It isn't that he's getting better. It's that he's irregular. Some books he does very well; others he doesn't.

Honestly, I think most people love him because he made the WoT series worth reading again, and people are grateful for that. :P

jimmy olsen

Quote from: merithyn on October 07, 2013, 09:40:07 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 07, 2013, 09:26:13 AM

I disagree. His first book, Elantris, sucked. His second book, Mistborn, was incredible. The Way of Kings (one of the first books he started writing, though it wasn't published until he finished the WoT stuff) is okay. I'm about 50 pages in and I want to keep reading it, but it's not blowing my socks off.

It isn't that he's getting better. It's that he's irregular. Some books he does very well; others he doesn't.

Honestly, I think most people love him because he made the WoT series worth reading again, and people are grateful for that. :P
The Way of Kings is by far the best novel that's he's written, blows Mistborn out of the water. Don't judge it until you've finished it.

1 Karma Chameleon point

merithyn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 07, 2013, 10:44:50 AM
The Way of Kings is by far the best novel that's he's written, blows Mistborn out of the water. Don't judge it until you've finished it.

If I don't care what happens 50 pages in, it's not "the best novel that he's written", nor does it "blow Mistborn out of the water". I started Mistborn and didn't put it down until I finished the series. I've read the first chapter of The Way of Kings twice now, and I'm pushing myself to read past Chapter 3.

Maximus

Quote from: merithyn on October 07, 2013, 09:40:07 AM
My impression is that for the bulk of his fans, him completing WoT was kind of cool but kind of annoying as it kept him from his real writing.

merithyn

Well, given that I'm not much of a fan of WoT, either, I was only guessing.