News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How far would you travel to meet an author?

Started by merithyn, September 25, 2013, 11:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: ulmont on October 02, 2013, 10:42:04 AM
Quote from: merithyn on October 02, 2013, 10:32:53 AM
He let me know about some podcasts that he's done to help new writers called Writing Excuses that I plan to spend my work days listening to. He also gave me some suggestions on how to get over the whole "perfection" thing when writing my first drafts that I'm going to give a shot.

And by "some," Sanderson means "about a month's worth of straight listening" (seriously, it's like 8 years of weekly podcasts).

Luckily, I have nothing but time at work. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on October 02, 2013, 10:35:44 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2013, 04:11:08 PM
Can't say I've ever been jazzed enough to go and meet an author.  Waved at Tom Clancy once, but that was in traffic.

Looks like you won't be doing that again.

Wave at the funeral procession?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

Most of them wind up in London at some point, so I've never travelled more than an hour. Douglas Adams was without a doubt the best value at signings. I did meet Terry Pratchett when I was in Manchester, but I was living there as a student at the time.

merithyn

I didn't go to nearly enough when I lived in Chicago. My only real regret from living there.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 02, 2013, 10:43:39 AM
He let me know about some podcasts that he's done to help new writers called Writing Excuses that I plan to spend my work days listening to. He also gave me some suggestions on how to get over the whole "perfection" thing when writing my first drafts that I'm going to give a shot.

And by "some," Sanderson means "about a month's worth of straight listening" (seriously, it's like 8 years of weekly podcasts).

They look perfectly timed for my commute. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on October 02, 2013, 10:35:44 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2013, 04:11:08 PM
Can't say I've ever been jazzed enough to go and meet an author.  Waved at Tom Clancy once, but that was in traffic.

Looks like you won't be doing that again.

:lol:  Oh, he's got one more car ride left.

crazy canuck

Max got to ask him some questions about one of his big epic novels, too.

Did you pass on my regards and my request that he not take so long with his next book?

Malthus

I'm seeing a couple of my favorite historical-fiction authors at the end of the month, at a gig sponsored by the Public Library here: Christian Cameron and C.C. Humphreys. Particularly Cameron, who wrote Killer of Men among many others.

http://www.amazon.com/Killer-Men-Long-Christian-Cameron/dp/0752883933/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380745838&sr=8-1&keywords=killer+of+men
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2013, 10:51:10 AM
Quote from: merithyn on October 02, 2013, 10:43:39 AM

They look perfectly timed for my commute. :)

One thing that would be nice if is they also have podcasts arranged not by date but by theme. I was downloaded some more and I noticed that 11, 12 and 12 are all about submitting to editors. I don't think I need that advice at this time. -_-

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on October 02, 2013, 03:32:22 PM
I'm seeing a couple of my favorite historical-fiction authors at the end of the month, at a gig sponsored by the Public Library here: Christian Cameron and C.C. Humphreys. Particularly Cameron, who wrote Killer of Men among many others.

http://www.amazon.com/Killer-Men-Long-Christian-Cameron/dp/0752883933/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380745838&sr=8-1&keywords=killer+of+men

Have fun. :)

Though I'd think you'd have an in to meet whomever you chose in the literary field. :hmm:

Jacob

Cool.

How long is the series?

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on October 03, 2013, 01:29:35 PM

Cool.

How long is the series?

So far, there are three: Killer of Men, Marathon and Poseidon's Spear.

There's another due out in December: The Great King.

Not sure how long it is intended to be. So far, all are good, in different ways.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 02, 2013, 03:23:26 PM
Max got to ask him some questions about one of his big epic novels, too.

Did you pass on my regards and my request that he not take so long with his next book?

bump  :mad:

Eddie Teach

I told him he could take as long as he wants. No rush.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?