News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How far would you travel to meet an author?

Started by merithyn, September 25, 2013, 11:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2013, 12:13:50 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 26, 2013, 11:55:45 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2013, 09:22:07 AM
I don't know why one would need to go to a bookstore.

Because that's where the books are?

I think you mean one location that books might be found and an inconvenient one given that they often won't have what you want stocked on the shelf.

You can always ask your Customer Service Representative at the Help counter to special order the item you would like, and you will be contacted when it arrives.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 26, 2013, 12:17:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2013, 12:13:50 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 26, 2013, 11:55:45 AM

Because that's where the books are?

I think you mean one location that books might be found and an inconvenient one given that they often won't have what you want stocked on the shelf.

You can always ask your Customer Service Representative at the Help counter to special order the item you would like, and you will be contacted when it arrives.

Or I could just do what d does and click order and even have the next day if I desired.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Also, I don't trust the employees at the help desk as I was one.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

It's people like you who are destroying this economy.

Jacob

Personally I enjoy browsing the physical books; I often come across things I wouldn't otherwise have considered.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on September 26, 2013, 12:46:41 PM

Personally I enjoy browsing the physical books; I often come across things I wouldn't otherwise have considered.

Exactly.

crazy canuck

For me looking for books online is a pale imitation of the experience of walking through a bookstore and looking at what they have on offer.   I will often find books that I would never have thought to order or look for online.  Plus I enjoy leafing through a number of books to decide which ones I will purchase on that trip. 

I am happy to report that I have passed on the love of this simple pleasure to my boys.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on September 26, 2013, 12:46:41 PM

I never have that experience at a generic B&N type establishment. I did/do have that experience at used bookstores in SF.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on September 25, 2013, 11:22:09 AM
If it's to stand in line and get something signed as a fan, I don't think I'd even walk across the room to do so. It's just not my thing.
Roughly this. I'd maybe go to something with the author of a non-fiction work, or to a poetry reading, or to a lecture. But I don't think I'd be bothered in another case - the author's dead.

The irony is I do trawl sites and catalogues for rare books - some signed - that I might buy if I ever have money :blush:

QuoteI never have that experience at a generic B&N type establishment. I did/do have that experience at used bookstores in SF.
Waterstones is still generally pretty good for it, so's Foyles. Also there are some types of books - cookbooks for example - that I really, really like to see and browse before I buy.

I hope bookshops survive because I was recently in town and wanted to impulse buy a DVD and realised there weren't any shops selling them :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

I acquired Steelheart yesterday. I finished it this afternoon. (I'm home sick today.) VERY good book. Already looking forward to the sequel, and the movie (which is in the planning).

Oh, garbon. I went online and reserved the book at B&N, then Max went and picked it up for me. If I hadn't been sick, I'd have gone in and wandered aimlessly for an hour or so before picking up the book. As it is, Max got it for me, instead. I shop for books online, but I generally go in to pick them up rather than having them delivered to me so I can see what else is worth getting.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Went to go meet Brandon Sanderson last night. He's delightfully geeky, and it was a lot of fun listening to him speak. He seems like a really down-to-earth, regular guy who happens to tell really cool stories.

He let me know about some podcasts that he's done to help new writers called Writing Excuses that I plan to spend my work days listening to. He also gave me some suggestions on how to get over the whole "perfection" thing when writing my first drafts that I'm going to give a shot.

Max got to ask him some questions about one of his big epic novels, too.

Brandon signed three of our books, which will now go into my collection. I am: happy. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on September 26, 2013, 03:10:38 PM
Oh, garbon. I went online and reserved the book at B&N, then Max went and picked it up for me. If I hadn't been sick, I'd have gone in and wandered aimlessly for an hour or so before picking up the book. As it is, Max got it for me, instead. I shop for books online, but I generally go in to pick them up rather than having them delivered to me so I can see what else is worth getting.

I generally find little worth purchasing at B&N establishments. -_-

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2013, 04:11:08 PM
Can't say I've ever been jazzed enough to go and meet an author.  Waved at Tom Clancy once, but that was in traffic.

Looks like you won't be doing that again.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

ulmont

Quote from: merithyn on October 02, 2013, 10:32:53 AM
He let me know about some podcasts that he's done to help new writers called Writing Excuses that I plan to spend my work days listening to. He also gave me some suggestions on how to get over the whole "perfection" thing when writing my first drafts that I'm going to give a shot.

And by "some," Sanderson means "about a month's worth of straight listening" (seriously, it's like 8 years of weekly podcasts).