News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How far would you travel to meet an author?

Started by merithyn, September 25, 2013, 11:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2013, 11:23:57 AM
Please give Mr. Sanderson my regards and please ask him not to take so long with the next book in this Stormlight series.
The only reason it took this long was he had to finish The Wheel of Time. He wrote a 3 books for that with a total of a million words in four years. Now that that is no longer an issue, expect a new back every 18 months.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've gone to lectures by people people who wrote books.  Does that count?  Also, hasn't Jake written something?  I would probably drive 30 or 40 miles to meet Jake.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2013, 04:11:08 PM
Can't say I've ever been jazzed enough to go and meet an author.  Waved at Tom Clancy once, but that was in traffic.

Tom had his assistant wave back .
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on September 26, 2013, 08:40:37 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2013, 12:51:24 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 25, 2013, 12:50:09 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2013, 11:52:37 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 25, 2013, 11:40:33 AM
About 30 feet.

How far do you travel to buy a book :hmm:

Between 0 and 10 feet, usually.

Does your wife make books in your home?

There's a cool site called amazon.com.  Try Prime-- you'll never want to give it up.

That's how I got my copies of Natural Harvest.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on September 26, 2013, 08:40:37 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2013, 12:51:24 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 25, 2013, 12:50:09 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2013, 11:52:37 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 25, 2013, 11:40:33 AM
About 30 feet.

How far do you travel to buy a book :hmm:

Between 0 and 10 feet, usually.

Does your wife make books in your home?

There's a cool site called amazon.com.  Try Prime-- you'll never want to give it up.

I don't know why I would want to use amazon to buy physical books. :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

I can't think of any public figure I would travel any distance to see.  I might pop in if I were in the neighborhood, but then probably not, truth be told.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2013, 08:47:17 AM

They tend to have pretty good prices and it saves me a trip to the bookstore, wherever the closest one is these days.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on September 26, 2013, 08:57:25 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2013, 08:47:17 AM

They tend to have pretty good prices and it saves me a trip to the bookstore, wherever the closest one is these days.

I thought the point of brick & mortar bookstores was to check (or alternatively if you are Seeds, perv) out people, not buy books. :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

garbon

I don't know why one would need to go to a bookstore.

derspiess

garbon

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2013, 09:22:07 AM

Because that's where the books are?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 26, 2013, 11:55:45 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2013, 09:22:07 AM

Because that's where the books are?

I think you mean one location that books might be found and an inconvenient one given that they often won't have what you want stocked on the shelf.