News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How far would you travel to meet an author?

Started by merithyn, September 25, 2013, 11:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Next week, Max and I are going to drive up to the Chicago area to meet Brandon Sanderson. Aside from being a damn fine author, he seems to be a pretty decent guy, too. I'm looking forward to having my Mistborn set signed to add to my collection of signed books.

It occurs to me that it could be considered pretty odd to drive two and a half hours to stand in line to meet an author for two minutes, and get a few signed books. Of course, for a bibliophile, it may not seem very far at all.

So, say that one of your favorite authors will be in a shop, and you find out about it. How far is too far to go meet him/her? How close is close enough?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

None / near my neighborhood.  I think I've only been to one book event and it was for Aisha Tyler. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

If it's to stand in line and get something signed as a fan, I don't think I'd even walk across the room to do so. It's just not my thing.

But if owning signed books is something you enjoy, and if hanging out with other fans and briefly chatting with an admired author is an experience you appreciate then driving two and half hours to do so seems sensible enough to me.

crazy canuck

Please give Mr. Sanderson my regards and please ask him not to take so long with the next book in this Stormlight series.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

I didn't travel all that far to meet some authors (maybe five miles), but I did do so in a fierce snowstorm.  Right after a friend of mine and I arrived at the bookstore, the city police shut down the streets and told everyone to stay where they were.

So, sitting around this table at the Borders in Briarwood were myself, my friend, the guy who owned the bookstore (and who had sent his employees home already), some guy I didn't know, Poul and Karen Anderson, Gordon Dickson, Joe Haldeman, and Roger Zelazny.  The Andersons had a massive thermos full of Irish coffee (and shared freely) and Gordy Dickson had a big bottle of whiskey, so we survived the blizzard pretty well.  All told, it was about four hours before the emergency was lifted, and it was maybe the best four hours I ever spent.  Those guys (and gal) were some kinda storytellers.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on September 25, 2013, 11:50:38 AM
So, sitting around this table at the Borders in Briarwood were myself, my friend, the guy who owned the bookstore (and who had sent his employees home already), some guy I didn't know, Poul and Karen Anderson, Gordon Dickson, Joe Haldeman, and Roger Zelazny.  The Andersons had a massive thermos full of Irish coffee (and shared freely) and Gordy Dickson had a big bottle of whiskey, so we survived the blizzard pretty well.  All told, it was about four hours before the emergency was lifted, and it was maybe the best four hours I ever spent.  Those guys (and gal) were some kinda storytellers.

:worthy:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

I didn't travel all that far to meet some authors (maybe five miles), but I did do so in a fierce snowstorm.  Right after a friend of mine and I arrived at the bookstore, the city police shut down the streets and told everyone to stay where they were.

Now THAT is awesome :cheers:

merithyn

Wow. That sounds like an amazing night. :wub:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

PRC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2013, 12:07:03 PM
I would cross a room.

I'd cross a room if there was nobody else in line and I had a suitable version of the book to be signed, like a hardcover and not some ratty old paperback.

The Brain

Quote from: merithyn on September 25, 2013, 11:17:30 AM

So, say that one of your favorite authors will be in a shop, and you find out about it. How far is too far to go meet him/her? How close is close enough?

Depends. Has his corpse been carted there or is he a zombie?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.