News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rape victims with their attacker's quotes

Started by Syt, September 25, 2013, 05:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

It's not a euphemism. Cheetahs have non-retractable claws which help them gain lots of speed and turning ability.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on September 25, 2013, 01:34:16 PM
They're just not as funny as ferry passengers drowning.  :(

Tuna will never forgive us :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

OttoVonBismarck

If I could say there is anything sad about the internet age it's that I am basically emotionally numb to seeing this stuff through the medium of my PC. That's not the same as being some emotionless robot, but I think the medium impacts (at least for me) how I process something.

If I was at a lecture or some place where a rape victim stood up and spoke about her (or his) experiences, visibly upset perhaps or getting emotional, I would have an emotional response to that.

But just about anything I see on the internet just rolls over me as nothingness. Back when I was say, 20 years old before the web age, if I saw that image in a magazine or something of all the rape victims and their signs that'd probably have an impact. In 2013 here on Languish? Nothing.

I had a similar feeling when I saw a collage of pictures on facebook. It was the 2007 Pulitzer Prize for photography winner, and it was a series of 20 or so images of a mother with her son who was dying of leukemia, ending with her by the son's grave. Seeing it on facebook basically meant, for me at least, it had very little emotional impact. If someone had handed me the pictures in person, it would have been different.

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 25, 2013, 04:55:55 PM
But just about anything I see on the internet just rolls over me as nothingness.

I get what you are saying about the effect of the internet.  But for me, seeing some of those images (particularly the images of the young girls holding the signs and the signs describing how young the victims where when they were abused) was disturbing for me.

Admiral Yi

For some reason I can't explain the older lady bothered me the most.

merithyn

The last one affected me the most. It's what was said to me 27 years ago.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ideologue

The dude ones are pretty awful too. :(

On one hand, female-against-male rape does seem "less damaging" (it's [usually] non-forcible; I personally would probably feel less violated than a woman in a reverse situation), but it did make me wonder about the double-bind.  It may not be forcible, but it may as well be--if you use force to resist, odds are you'll be in prison a lot sooner than she will.

The obvious solution to basically all crime is a total surveillance society.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2013, 05:04:27 PM
For some reason I can't explain the older lady bothered me the most.
The threat of murder?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

OttoVonBismarck

Maybe my heart is turned to stone, but I also can't get past the fact these are user submitted through a tumblr page. That basically to me means that the internet and who it attracts being what it is, I imagine some of these women are not rape victims but just people wanting to be sick weirdos and put their picture into the gallery.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on September 25, 2013, 05:18:27 PM

Well, that's just fucking super.  Now I can't use that line anymore without feeling guilty.  :mad:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 25, 2013, 08:58:19 PM
Maybe my heart is turned to stone, but I also can't get past the fact these are user submitted through a tumblr page. That basically to me means that the internet and who it attracts being what it is, I imagine some of these women are not rape victims but just people wanting to be sick weirdos and put their picture into the gallery.

So cynical, Otto.  BB and the rest of the Languish Morality Brigade frowns upon you.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2013, 09:59:36 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 25, 2013, 05:18:27 PM

Well, that's just fucking super.  Now I can't use that line anymore without feeling guilty.  :mad:

Well just don't use it on her.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017