News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Occupy Wall Street Turns 2

Started by Savonarola, September 20, 2013, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on September 21, 2013, 07:53:14 PM
Remind me how many people died in Weather Underground attacks.

Plenty of Weather Underground members.  :lol:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 20, 2013, 06:04:38 PM
I thought the article was extremely well written.  I don't see how someone could try to put a positive spin on Occupy and do a better job than this.
I thought Peter Beinart's piece on the new new left was interesting:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/09/12/the-rise-of-the-new-new-left.html
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Savonarola

Quote from: mongers on September 21, 2013, 06:22:37 PM
The occupiers I'm still aware of, or the few I'm still in contact with, have migrated to other things, currently chiefly the anti-fracking campaign, so in some ways they're performing the function of a rent-a-crowd.

Like hired mourners.  :cry:

I read that earlier this month in France the anti-gay marriage protestors became anti-war protestors over the concern that if Assad fell Syrian Christians would meet the same unhappy fate as the Copts.  The French equivalent of the Occupy movement, Printemps Français also opposed the war; so the far-right and the far-left united and held protests together.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 21, 2013, 07:12:22 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 21, 2013, 06:53:13 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 21, 2013, 06:50:03 PM
Occupy won't mean anything until they figure out the proper use of explosives.  Movements tend to get taken more seriously when body counts start climbing.

Like Al Qaeda and the Klan.

Or the Weather Underground and the Symbionese Liberation Army.

Or the Bolsheviks.  OH WAIT.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 22, 2013, 03:20:59 AM
Goddamn that's a long article.

I liked it.  It's 90-100% correct, with a caveat only that it doesn't draw the logical conclusion: the GOP is effectively finished as a national party for the next decade or more.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Savonarola

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 20, 2013, 06:03:05 PM
Quotebecause in situations like these a library is a threat, too

I stopped reading at this point in the article.  Was the rest just as bad?

Most of it continues along in the same style.

Al Jazeera ran an article of the Icons of OWS.  The People's Library was the first icon named; beating out even the kid with the dollar bill over his mouth:

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/multimedia/ows-icons-where-are-they-now.html

QuoteMelissa Gira Grant's account of the Occupy Wall Street People's Library, Take This Book, begins, "No one founded the library. The library founded itself"—a quotation from librarian Jaime Taylor.

In the beginning was the word

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Jacob

Interesting article, Sheilbh. If turns out to be correct, it'll be interesting to see if the American left can hold it together or whether the transition leftwards will be as strained as the current tea-party driven strife in the GOP.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on September 24, 2013, 06:47:18 PM
Interesting article, Sheilbh. If turns out to be correct, it'll be interesting to see if the American left can hold it together or whether the transition leftwards will be as strained as the current tea-party driven strife in the GOP.

Maybe I missed it (as like Yi said it was a large article) but was there ever any comparison of thoughts of different generations when they were at the same points in their life?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2013, 06:57:58 PMMaybe I missed it (as like Yi said it was a large article) but was there ever any comparison of thoughts of different generations when they were at the same points in their life?

Yes:

QuoteThere is more reason to believe these attitudes will persist as Millennials age than to believe they will change. For starters, the liberalism of Millennials cannot be explained merely by the fact that they are young, because young Americans have not always been liberal. In recent years, polls have shown young Americans to be the segment of the population most supportive of government-run health care. But in 1978, they were the least supportive. In the last two elections, young Americans voted heavily for Obama. But in 1984 and 1988, Americans under 30 voted Republican for president.

QuoteNor is it true that Americans necessarily grow more conservative as they age. Sometimes they do. But academic studies suggest that party identification, once forged in young adulthood, is more likely to persist than to change. There's also strong evidence from a 2009 National Bureau of Economic Research paper that people who experience a recession in their plastic years support a larger state role in the economy throughout their lives.

garbon

Gotcha. I guess I'm just an artifact. :(

That said, I wonder why people lean more towards the government managing things. It isn't like it has shown a great capacity for change.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2013, 07:04:55 PM
Gotcha. I guess I'm just an artifact. :(

:console:

QuoteThat said, I wonder why people lean more towards the government managing things. It isn't like it has shown a great capacity for change.

I'm guessing because the cut back in government management has produced plummeting incomes and standards of living with prospects for more of the same.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on September 24, 2013, 04:46:10 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 21, 2013, 06:22:37 PM
The occupiers I'm still aware of, or the few I'm still in contact with, have migrated to other things, currently chiefly the anti-fracking campaign, so in some ways they're performing the function of a rent-a-crowd.

Like hired mourners.  :cry:

I read that earlier this month in France SOME anti-gay marriage protestors became anti-war protestors over the concern that if Assad fell Syrian Christians would meet the same unhappy fate as the Copts.  The French equivalent of the Occupy movement, Printemps Français also opposed the war; so the far-right and the far-left united and held protests together.

Fixed it for you. :)
Funny thing is the pro-homo marriage crowd was only described as provincial catholic bourgeois by the pro-homosexual marriage media while there were other religions present, namely muslims with veiled women. Also protestants, jews, orthodox, you name it. The same "progressive" media called it "marriage for all" which is obviously wrong, otherwise the Brain would have come to France to formalise his relationship with sheep.
The Printemps français is linked to the extreme-right in a bizarre nod to Arab revolutions (unwilling perhaps Prague Spring it is I think) so it's not surprising they're defending Assad like Marine does or her father did with Saddam Hussein.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on September 24, 2013, 07:08:29 PM
I'm guessing because the cut back in government management has produced plummeting incomes and standards of living with prospects for more of the same.

I guess that is one narrative.

Savonarola

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 24, 2013, 07:11:56 PM
Fixed it for you. :)

Thanks, my French is far from perfect (as is my understanding of the French.)