The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

So the GOP did get a fig leaf baked into the bill. 

Sheilbh

They had to get something. Though how pitiful it is is a sign of how badly this went.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I still thinks it's a bad idea.  A dollar in ransom is still ransom.

Sheilbh

No. It's trying to provide a graceful way out once a side's admitted defeat. They've given in so make it easy. In victory magnanimity and all that.

Of course alongside that Obama should try and milk this for all the political gain its worth.

But it's not even a dollar ransom.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 17, 2013, 12:12:30 AM
They had to get something. Though how pitiful it is is a sign of how badly this went.

I actually feel sorry for Boehner to have gone through this.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Looks like one federal worker won't be going back to work any time soon.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 17, 2013, 12:26:12 AM

It's also the pity money you give a kid after something bad happened to them.

Here you go, Sparky, take this dollar & buy yourself some candy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 17, 2013, 06:08:38 AM

It's nothing of the sort.  It's the equivalent of promising to be more understanding of the kid's problems with math.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I'm not seeing any ransom paid.  The only "concession" is a promise to do what they were already planing on doing (unless the intention was to allow fraud).  Hopefully the Republicans learned their lesson and won't do this again.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Quote from: grumbler on October 17, 2013, 06:32:02 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 17, 2013, 06:08:38 AM

It's nothing of the sort.  It's the equivalent of promising to be more understanding of the kid's problems with math.

:lol: That's better.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 16, 2013, 09:48:34 PM
As is appropriate a mad farce ends with a flash of lunacy:
From the video I saw it looked like she has nice tits. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

Quote●Requires additional measures, favored by Republicans, to ensure that people who receive financial help to buy medical insurance under the new health-care law are being honest about their income.

This bit confuses me.

Part of the ACA is required reporting of employee incomes by businesses. It's part of the information that goes into The Hub, an information center and exchange. So, basically, the ACA already has measures in place to verify employee income, and in Illinois, that's already working. My kids lost state-sponsored Medicaid as soon as Max got a job, even though I forgot to fill out the paperwork.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: Neil on October 16, 2013, 10:53:45 PM
There's another shutdown in a few months.  We'll see if people remember that one for next years midterms.  If there's any justice, the Republicans will lose the House and the US will finally be able to make owning a handgun a capital crime.

You mean like how the Pelosi-Reid Connection was able to do a lot of good? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on October 17, 2013, 04:51:37 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 17, 2013, 12:12:30 AM

I actually feel sorry for Boehner to have gone through this.

"Leave this poor orange man alone!"  :lol:

Anyway, it's nothing a good cry couldn't fix.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall