The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Wait until they win again in Jan and Feb.

They WILL stop the anti-Christ and the worse law in the history of all mankind.
Oh yes, they will.

Grey Fox

Quote from: frunk on October 17, 2013, 11:57:39 AM
Quote from: Caliga on October 17, 2013, 11:24:09 AM
Maybe managing to shut the government down for two weeks WAS the victory. :hmm:

If the goal with shutting down parts of the government was

1.  Increasing running costs even more than not shutting it down (furloughed employees still paid but work not done)
2.  Reducing tax revenues due to uncertainty in the economy
3.  Increasing government borrowing costs by raising interest rates on short term T-Bills
4.  Making the rest of the world wonder if the US is really that stable a place to park money

then I congratulate them on a stunning victory.

Their stated goal is to undermine the US federal government at every opportunity. So, yes, success.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on October 17, 2013, 11:55:05 AM
Any idea where the Republicans will go from here?

Probably take some time off, watch some film, and prep for the next shutdown :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 17, 2013, 12:05:45 PM

Probably take some time off, watch some film, and prep for the next shutdown :D

Lol, cant run the option from an ace backfield.  Ted needs more backs.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 17, 2013, 11:34:09 AM
Well she has a point.   If the Americans had not rebelled or if they had at least kept the superior form of government that is Parliamentary Democracy they would not not be in this mess.

Well if Americans had not rebelled my ancestors wouldn't have a place to flee to.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 17, 2013, 12:09:37 PM

http://www.glennbeck.com/2013/01/10/take-a-tour-of-glenns-visionary-plans-for-independence/

Some of the comments are priceless. Like this one:

QuoteThis just REEKS of L. Ron Hubbard, Jim Jones, David Koresh, Warren Jeffs, Aum Shinrikyo, and many, many other deranged lunatics who mix twisted religious fervor with socio-political separatism. This is absolute proof (among other evidence) that Glenn Beck is a certifiable nut case plagued with "Nazi Turrets" and grade-A narcism. It amazes me that his "fans" continue to wallow in his anti-government, end of the world, New World Order paranoid rants. The only thing this buffoon is good for is fodder for late night satire.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

Speaking of comments I was looking through some of the comments on the Breitbart sites, where people concluded that the next logical step was to rise up rebellion, kill the city dwellers and turn them into feed for their animals.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Sheilbh

Quote from: Caliga on October 17, 2013, 11:36:13 AM
I do agree that the Parliamentary system is better than the one that we have.
That's why no-one ever suggests the US system for new democracies. The only country that's survived as a democracy with an equally powerful President and Legislature is the US. Chile managed it for a hundred or so years until Pinochet happened.

Normally it leads either to a presidential dictatorship, or a military coup.

QuoteSpeaking of comments I was looking through some of the comments on the Breitbart sites, where people concluded that the next logical step was to rise up rebellion, kill the city dwellers and turn them into feed for their animals.
I do think that part of the change that's provoking a strong reaction on the right is from rural and small town America to a more urbanised and small city America. This touches on it:
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/07/orca-meet-obama/?_r=0
QuoteDavid: This election was mostly about demographics or more precisely about the way demographic shifts lead to cultural and political shifts. Ronald Reagan won with an electorate that was nearly 90 percent white. Now the electorate is around 72 percent white. And the white population is different — more educated, more centered in college towns, more socially diverse, more likely to live in single-person households.

That means they are less likely to subscribe to the cowboy ethos of the rugged individual. It doesn't mean they want to return to the New Deal, but it does mean that the old Republican narrative can no longer win a majority.

Gail: I've always thought the big political division was empty places versus crowded places. People who live in crowded places just naturally appreciate how useful government is. Empty-place people don't see the point. Maybe this is the death of the empty-place vision.
She puts it a bit a strong but I think there is a division and it's another area where the demographics are changing. I also think it's an area where, again, the populist right could make more headway than the establishment right if they sort themselves out.

People focus on changing ethnicity and so on, but I think there's also demographic changes in values and culture which matters and is more difficult to measure but rural-urban is a pretty good divider.

QuoteAny idea where the Republicans will go from here?
I think the right will be looking to successfully primary McConnell, Graham, Alexander and Cochran. Four Senators from broadly Republican states who aren't Tea Partiers. It might work.
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Jesus, they're ratfucking themselves. It's wonderful.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on October 17, 2013, 12:50:11 PM

Until they turn you into feed for their animals.

Razgovory

Oh, and here's where I found the comments. http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/10/16/Congress-Clears-Government-Spending-Debt-Hike

QuoteThe progs will soil themselves when the time comes.
It's a good thing they eat organic crap, because when the revolution begins, agricultural production will temporarily slow down and we will need to feed them to our livestock.

It's like a right wing version of Ide.

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on October 17, 2013, 12:59:57 PM

:lol:
I can't think of a radical rightwing faction in history that I'm less afraid of than the Tea Party.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Queequeg on October 17, 2013, 01:13:55 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 17, 2013, 12:59:57 PM

:lol:
I can't think of a radical rightwing faction in history that I'm less afraid of than the Tea Party.

Hassidic Jews maybe. Or the Amish.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

They make Oswald Mosley look like Reinhard Heydrich.  I don't think they have any positive role to play in American politics other than fucking up the already-corrupted Republican party.