The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Ideologue on October 15, 2013, 09:58:54 PM
Oh, so they'll use the default as an excuse to fire everybody and start arming China instead.  Bummer.

:huh:  They're not Bill Clinton.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Queequeg

QuoteAlso the righties I follow are quite excited about a primary challenge to Thad Cochran. Anyone know what he's done to offend the right?
Are we talking twitter feeds and writers you follow?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on October 15, 2013, 11:21:24 PM
QuoteAlso the righties I follow are quite excited about a primary challenge to Thad Cochran. Anyone know what he's done to offend the right?
Yep.
Let's bomb Russia!

fhdz

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 15, 2013, 07:29:31 PM
Quote from: Caliga on October 15, 2013, 07:28:14 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 15, 2013, 06:53:44 PM
Cal had a supply of Ammo but he left his in a bucket of water.

MAH SHOOTY THINGYS
Wrong.  It's in my nightstand.  Hundreds and hundreds of rounds of it. :menace:

MAH LUBRICANT

:D
and the horse you rode in on

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 15, 2013, 11:23:29 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on October 15, 2013, 11:21:24 PM
Yep.
This seems like such a passionate interest of yours that I didn't write off the possibility that you had personal relationships with actual Conservative honchos just to satiate intellectual passion on subject.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

:lol: No.

I've ended up getting into Twitter conversations with a few though :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/10/republicans-say-they-want-to-cut-staffers-pay-heres-how-little-those-staffers-make-today/280588/

QuoteRepublicans Say They Want to Cut Staffers' Pay: Here's How Little Those Staffers Make, Today

As a condition for reopening the government and possibly averting a debt default, House Republicans want to hand Congressional staff a massive pay cut by eliminating their health insurance subsidies. So this seems like a good time to ask: Could Hill workers afford a massive pay cut?

Hardly. MSNBC's Ned Resnikoff points out that inflation adjusted pay has been mostly stagnant in Hill offices for years, with most staffers earning somewhere in the range of $30,00o to $60,000. According to a 2010 report by the Sunlight Foundation, which produced the chart below, only chiefs of staff, legislative directors, and schedulers have seen their salary go up notably since 1990.

There are two big concerns here: class and competency. As Resnikoff noted on Twitter, the less Congress pays it staff, the harder it will be to work there for anybody who isn't independently wealthy. It's bad enough that getting a job on the Hill unofficially requires a stint as an unpaid intern. Just imagine if toiling there meant paying for your own health plan out of pocket.

Which brings us to the second issue: brain drain. Congress already has a revolving door problem, and without some kind of drastic change in the law, always will. But making pay and benefits even stingier is only going to encourage more staffers to find cushy jobs at trade associations and lobby shops. And by cushy, I really mean jobs that pay them something close to what they're worth. 
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

If you're a congressman, one of 535, why the fuck do you need a legislative director or a chief of staff? Wouldn't a secretary and an IT dude in each office be enough?

***Seriously, I don't know.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on October 15, 2013, 10:02:25 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 15, 2013, 09:58:54 PM
Oh, so they'll use the default as an excuse to fire everybody and start arming China instead.  Bummer.

:huh:  They're not Bill Clinton.
Worse.  They're Ollie North.  :x
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 16, 2013, 03:25:48 AM
If you're a congressman, one of 535, why the fuck do you need a legislative director or a chief of staff? Wouldn't a secretary and an IT dude in each office be enough?

That woudl probably be enough for the secondary job, but the primary job of a congressman is to run for re-election.  You need lots of staff people telling constituents what a great guy you are in order to get re-elected, because otherwise voters look at the shitty job you are doing and fire you.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

I'm ok with them not making a lot.  Anybody who would choose a career in politics is seriously disturbed, and crazy people with money are dangerous.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Of course you're OK with anybody not making a lot.  You're HR.

KRonn

Proposal is that the legislative staff members would have to pay under the ACA the same as everyone else. I don't think that's such a bad thing to ask. Another one rejected by the Dems was that the government, under the originally passed ACA law, confirms income levels before individuals can score Obamacare subsidies. These don't seem so onerous. I can see them fighting over the legislative health care perks but even that is bad policy. Many taxpayers are taking a cut with the ACA.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 16, 2013, 03:53:59 AM
The LD is the guy who tells you how to vote.

In which case the LD should be paying you, not the other way round.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.