The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: KRonn on October 16, 2013, 07:32:13 AM
Proposal is that the legislative staff members would have to pay under the ACA the same as everyone else. I don't think that's such a bad thing to ask.
It really is:
QuoteThe Obamacare Non-Exemption
Congressional employees aren't receiving a "special handout."
By Patrick Brennan

The Affordable Care Act, a.k.a. Obamacare, has many problematic provisions. Right now one that affects a remarkably small number of Americans — members of Congress and their staff — is attracting a great deal of controversy. It is also causing a great deal of confusion.

The dispute has its origin in the debate over the law in 2010. Republican senator Chuck Grassley suggested an amendment intended to make Democrats balk: Members of Congress and their staff would have to buy their insurance from the health-care exchanges. The amendment explicitly said that the federal government should continue making the same employer contributions. It was not designed to cut employees' benefits, but rather to make sure they had a stake in the quality and efficiency of the exchanges. Democrats actually accepted it, and put it into the eventually passed bill, but without the provision for employer contributions.

The law thus treats Congress and its staff substantially differently than all other Americans. Many Americans who now get insurance coverage from their employer may end up having to go on the exchanges; but only congressional employees are actually forced onto them, with the option of an employer plan prohibited by law. In the private sector, some of the savings from ending employer plans can go to higher wages, which employees can use to buy insurance from the exchanges. (Though that contribution will probably be after-tax earnings, rather than the pre-tax premium contributions employers make now.) It's possible there will be exceptions, but for the most part the market simply won't allow companies to cut an employee's compensation by as much as yanking away their entire employer health-care contribution amounts to.

While Trader Joe's, for instance, is discontinuing its health-insurance plan for part-time employees, the company will be giving each of them $500 a year — which sounds like a pittance, but when it is combined with the subsidies that low-wage employees like these will receive, coverage on the exchanges will actually cost most employees less out-of-pocket than what they got from their employer. There will be no such substitution in congressional offices, because the amendment does not increase the budget for legislative salaries. Some congressional employees would receive tax-credit subsidies on the individual market, like low-wage workers, but most would not.

When you hear about a "congressional exemption" from Obamacare, this refers to the fact that the Office of Personnel Management, part of the executive branch, has chosen to make up for this differential treatment by paying part of congressional employees' health-care premiums on the new exchanges. They haven't been "exempted" from the amendment that forces them onto the exchanges, in a way no other American is.

OPM decided to contribute the same amount to these exchanges that the government now spends on congressional employees' health benefits ($5,000 for individuals, $11,000 for families). This decision was probably illegal, since Congress didn't authorize funds for the plan, as Cato's Michael Cannon explains.

Congressmen and their staff, then, are getting a questionable workaround from the law — but it's from a provision of the law that treated them particularly badly rather than neutrally. The net result of the law and the workaround isn't a "special handout" for congressional employees.

Senator David Vitter (R., La.) says that Congress should pass an amendment to do away with this supposed "exemption." The law would actually layer another regulation onto Congress (and executive-branch appointees, too) that doesn't apply to any other American, by preventing their employer from contributing to their health insurance.

The reason the White House provided its procedurally dodgy solution, which Vitter aims to address, is that passing a fix through Congress would probably be politically difficult. But unless you think every congressional employee's salary should be cut by between $5,000 and $11,000 (or, alternatively, that they don't deserve any employer contributions to their health-care coverage), you shouldn't have a problem with your congressman voting for it. (For one, such a salary cut would make Congress more a place for well-off Americans than it already is.)

Senator Ted Cruz has actually suggested that the former's amendment should be expanded to every employee of the federal government — from D.C. schoolteachers to much of the active-duty military. (Vitter says he opposes this because it is infeasible politically.)

The defense of the provision remaining as is — ending the federal contributions to Congress's exchange premiums — relies on the idea that Congress (or literally almost all federal employees, as Cruz suggested) should suffer the worst possible effects of whatever federal law is passed. That's a much more punitive intent than the original Grassley amendment had.

With the destructive effects of Obamacare looming, this punishment may sound appealing. But do we really approve of the idea in other circumstances? Do we believe that Congress and its staffers should pay the highest marginal tax rates, regardless of income; that every congressman must have served in the military to vote to declare war; that congressional offices have to carry out any and all reporting requirements and regulations they impose on a particular industry; and so on? There are probably better ways to prevent Congress from passing bad laws.

The congressional staffers, D.C. teachers, and other federal employees Senator Cruz hopes to force onto the exchanges probably receive overly generous health-care benefits now. The executive branch's fix doesn't reduce them at all (for now); shifting them onto the exchanges might be a good time to move toward a less generous model. But people who happen to be paid by the federal treasury don't deserve to have the entire value of their existing coverage stripped away, as almost no Americans will experience.

Nearly half the people in Congress have worked, and are still working, against Obamacare. Senator Vitter's amendment proposes to cut their pay in order to make a point — a point based on a misunderstanding.

— Patrick Brennan is an associate editor at National Review.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

I swear that KRonn has already been corrected on that point multiple times.  That really was a decisive propaganda victory for Republicans.

The Minsky Moment

I was going to point out the hypocrisy of conservative economists who blamed the weak recovery on "policy uncertainty" supporting the no worries approach on default.  But then I realized that such persons don't exist.  I can't think of any reputable Econ guy of any school or stripe that supports this approach.  We are truly in a lunatics running the asylum situation.

(Sorry Raz no insult intended)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

If we had President Romney the economy'd be doing amazing though: no fiscal cliff, no sequestration, no shutdown, no threat of a default and, probably, some stimulus in the form of new tax cuts.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 16, 2013, 11:27:49 AM
We are truly in a lunatics running the asylum situation.

I disagree.  Lunatics would have some experience with asylums.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 16, 2013, 11:34:35 AM
If we had President Romney the economy'd be doing amazing though: no fiscal cliff, no sequestration, no shutdown, no threat of a default and, probably, some stimulus in the form of new tax cuts.

Nope. The Senate would demand funds for ACA.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

It sets a bad precedent though doesn't it?  If these tactics are a political success for the Republicans well soon the Democrats will be doing it to and we will lurch from crisis to crisis for the foreseeable future.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

Quote from: Valmy on October 16, 2013, 11:42:38 AM

It sets a bad precedent though doesn't it?  If these tactics are a political success for the Republicans well soon the Democrats will be doing it to and we will lurch from crisis to crisis for the foreseeable future.

You really think they would keep going from crisis to crisis? just push back the bullshit for a few weeks so they can go back to it over and over?

QuoteSenate leader announces bipartisan budget deal.
By DONNA CASSATA
22 minutes ago

.....WASHINGTON (AP) — Democratic leader Harry Reid says Senate leaders have reached a bipartisan deal to avoid default and end the government shutdown, now in its 16th day.

Reid made the announcement at the start of the Senate session on Wednesday.

The deal would reopen the government through Jan. 15 and increase the nation's borrowing authority through Feb. 7.
Reid thanked Republican leader Mitch McConnell for working out an agreement.

:D
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

crazy canuck

Until something breaks the 50/50 split in American politics I think that is the new reality in America in any event.

Valmy

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 16, 2013, 11:47:20 AM
You really think they would keep going from crisis to crisis? just push back the bullshit for a few weeks so they can go back to it over and over?

Well they are not real, they are totally manufactured.  But the uncertainty drives everybody batty.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 16, 2013, 09:21:10 AM
Quote from: Gups on October 16, 2013, 08:44:03 AM
If you want to keep the kind of world-class legislators the US is justly renowed for, you have to give them these kind of perks. Otherwise they will simply move to another country and legislate there instead.
Unfourtunately the joke is on us, because our Congress ends up filled up with independently wealthy dilettantes, second rate talents (eg speaker of the house as former high school wrestling coach), or people obsessed by power or ideology.
Don't worry.  Enough of them are lawyers that they'll still be able to ruin America.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on October 16, 2013, 11:02:20 AM
I swear that KRonn has already been corrected on that point multiple times.  That really was a decisive propaganda victory for Republicans.

I don't think I've said much about any of the recent shutdown and budget squabbles. Propaganda victory for the Repubs, about one, while the Dems have gotten the vast majority of propaganda victories. 

I can see from the article posted the correction in how this has been presented. The way it's been presented has been that Congress is getting a special perk, not that something different would be done to them than to anyone else. Just the opposite is the way it appears to have been reported. But hey, like the war on women, making a war on Congressional perks gins up the folks, regardless of the facts!   <_<

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 16, 2013, 11:47:34 AM

Until something breaks the 50/50 split in American politics I think that is the new reality in America in any event.

The three previous religious and moralist awakenings were broken by the revolutionary war, the civil war and ww2. Wonder what will release the tension this time?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

You know what's an unjust law? The one that lets the FCC fine the wazzoo out of the networks when anyone says "fuck" on air.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?