The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on October 15, 2013, 01:36:40 PM
I must admit, the battle over the medical devices tax rather baffles me.  It's a bad tax, given that it's on sales and not profits, it provides a tiny amount of income in the big picture, and it hits manufacturing (because they can't pass it on), which means it hits jobs.

The only argument I can see against repealing it seems to be CdM's, which is that it is just the camel's nose.  Frankly, that's not a very convincing argument. 

If giving up that tax is what it takes to get things moving, then that's a win-win.
It's weird. Both Democrats and Republicans were broadly happy with the idea of repealing it. It would've been repealed. So it seemed like a perfect fig-leaf for the GOP climbdown.

But apparently the House Republicans want to pass a bill so they can give it to Reid to deal with. The conservative Republicans opposed the medical device tax repeal because it's 'crony capitalism' and they couldn't sell it to their constituencies. The leadership and Senate Republicans want it, but it's apparently now out the bill.

Instead the current House deal (which still doesn't have enough votes, though Boehner is trying and it's been changing all day to reach 218) would lift the debt ceiling until February and have a CR until mid-December (:blink:) and the Vitter amendment (dealt with here: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/359742/obamacare-non-exemption-patrick-brennan ). Again I think the GOP gets too caught up in meaningless symbolism rather than actually trying to advance their agenda a little bit.

Apparently a senior whip said if they can't pass this in the House their message is 'we say to our guys, that's it, we failed to unite and have to deal with consequences'. From what I've read there's a sense that if this fails tonight then the House GOP will fall apart into big public rows very quickly.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on October 15, 2013, 03:33:09 PM
This whole fucking thing is comical. That screechy cunt Palin at the WW2 memorial yesterday. Like you have cause to be there you tea party twat. The Dem sea hag, Pelosi.....

I still cruise with Cruz and all, but I did get a kick out of him being there with Palin, criticizing Obama for politicizing national monuments. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on October 15, 2013, 03:33:09 PM
This whole fucking thing is comical. That screechy cunt Palin at the WW2 memorial yesterday. Like you have cause to be there you tea party twat. The Dem sea hag, Pelosi.....

America should decommission it's stadiums and grandstands, it clearly has a talented generation of politicians who have no need of them.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on October 15, 2013, 03:59:47 PM
I still cruise with Cruz and all, but I did get a kick out of him being there with Palin, criticizing Obama for politicizing national monuments.
Apparently the biggest applause lines at Palin's rally for Lonegan were when she had a go at Karl Rove and other establishment Republicans.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2013, 11:59:11 AM
This is so awesome.  We're gonna go over the cliff, and take the stock markets and global economies with us. :nelson: :nelson: :nelson:

I do need your civil war!  Yeah!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on October 15, 2013, 04:27:54 PM
This is so awesome.  We're gonna go over the cliff, and take the stock markets and global economies with us. :nelson: :nelson: :nelson:

I have plenty of ammo. :P Do you?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: 11B4V on October 15, 2013, 04:30:31 PM
I doubt that will help much when a modern, organized military drops a laser-guided bomb on your house, Johnny Reb.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Apparently no vote tonight in the House:
QuoteHouse GOP May Cancel Vote
By Robert Costa
October 15, 2013 6:06 PM
My sources tell me House Republicans will likely postpone tonight's vote on their plan to end the fiscal impasse. "The votes aren't there," says a leadership aide. "We've been amending the bill all day, but we've been unable to get people around this strategy."

This development leaves Speaker John Boehner with few options as Thursday's debt-ceiling deadline nears, and it throws the action back toward the Senate, which has been working on a bipartisan package.
There were late afternoon meetings between the leadership and the conservatives which apparently ended that. Probably they were hurt by Heritage's public calls against the leadership's plan. It was never formally whipped but there just wasn't enough support :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

I think Preppers are probably heading for onanistic oblivion.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: Neil on October 15, 2013, 05:30:28 PM
I doubt that will help much when a modern, organized military drops a laser-guided bomb on your house, Johnny Reb.

American Spring
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

You remember all those times I made fun of you.  Well.  I apologize.

Sheilbh

So it's back in the Senate. They'd paused negotiations but say they're now 'progressing well' - which is good.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: 11B4V on October 15, 2013, 05:44:20 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 15, 2013, 05:30:28 PM
American Spring
Sarin will clear that right up.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Cal had a supply of Ammo but he left his in a bucket of water.

MAH SHOOTY THINGYS
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive