The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Queequeg on October 11, 2013, 09:29:59 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 10, 2013, 10:54:51 PM
I should have guessed.  It's all been a high-stakes game of intellectual chess.  By feigning pussitude during the first five years of his presidency, only to regain a spine at the last moment, Obama has destroyed the Republican Party for all time.  It's like Cannae, or The Usual Suspects, or something.
Didn't the other side  win after Cannae?

Well, the Republicans are trying to live up to the title "Cunctator" ...  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 11, 2013, 10:01:27 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2013, 09:56:18 AM
I don't know.  They seem pretty split on this sort of thing.  Sure the Libertarian types do not care but from what I can tell they are the minority group within the Tea Party.

Libertarian types have been the driving force in the Tea Party. 

I seriously doubt that.  Right now the majority is lining up behind them because they are strident and just happen to be opposing the President right now.  The Libertarians will be marginalized if the Tea Party ever actually gets power.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

I don't know.  They seem pretty split on this sort of thing.  Sure the Libertarian types do not care but from what I can tell they are the minority group within the Tea Party.

Nonsense.

Tamas

I know the TP tries to show off as libertarian, but being all fundie-hardcore on religious issues and whatnot is NOT libertarian.

That`s an other radical right characteristic by the way. Insisting that you specifically get free hand to do whatever, but everybody else should live according to the rules you set for them.

And Berkut the implication is that the far-right posseses some characteristics that really should not be acceptable, and yes they are largely the same regardless of being hold by righteous Tea Partiers, Le Pen sympathiser old folks in France, or skin-headed youth in Poland. Namely intolerance, disrespect for the democratic process, bigotry, and a feeling of self-righteousness, just to list the most mild ones.

sbr

Quote from: DGuller on October 11, 2013, 10:14:27 AM

Nonsense.

The Tea Party movement was founded/started by anti-tax, anti-spend, anti-government libertarians.  It took about an hour and a half for the nutcase, religious fundy, cultural warriors to take the movement over.

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on October 11, 2013, 10:17:46 AM
The Tea Party movement was founded/started by anti-tax, anti-spend, anti-government libertarians.  It took about an hour and a half for the nutcase, religious fundy, cultural warriors to take the movement over.

Yeah the Tea Party means one of two things:

1. You are a Libertarian in Republican's clothing

2. You are a Conservative but just more fanatical and inflexible.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

lustindarkness

Quote from: DGuller on October 11, 2013, 10:14:27 AM

Nonsense.

Why exagerate? it took them like a whole day or so, it may have been a Sunday or something.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Most anti-tax, anti-government folks are also religious culture warriors. But when you compare GOP rhetoric before and after the Tea Party, there's not a lot of movement on that front. There has been a significant increase in whining over government spending(granted part of that is having a Democrat in the White House).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 11, 2013, 10:31:26 AM
Most anti-tax, anti-government folks are also religious culture warriors.

Which means they are not anti-government types.  Which is precisely what I am saying.

QuoteThere has been a significant increase in whining over government spending(granted part of that is having a Democrat in the White House).

Exactly.  Just like how the Republicans went from being pro-States when Clinton was in office to suddenly favoring Federal solutions once their guy was in office.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 11, 2013, 10:38:34 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 11, 2013, 10:26:22 AM
You guys are wacky.

Truth hurt, eh.

No, you guys really are whacky.

You guys are insisting that your caricature of the Tea Party is the real Tea Party, so you can more easily be outraged by it.

Which is ridiculous, because there is plenty to be outraged by without the need to create this Frankenstein tea Party that the people who actually identify themselves as "Tea Party" would never agree represents them.

But who am I kidding, I am tilting at windmills.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

sbr

Quote from: derspiess on October 11, 2013, 10:26:22 AM
You guys are wacky.

Im not intending to be wacky, could you explain where I am wrong?  Assuming I am one of the wacky ones? :)

sbr

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 11, 2013, 10:31:26 AM

Most anti-tax, anti-government folks are also religious culture warriors. But when you compare GOP rhetoric before and after the Tea Party, there's not a lot of movement on that front. There has been a significant increase in whining over government spending(granted part of that is having a Democrat in the White House).

That's probably right, but the original Tea Party (in this context, and assuming IIRC) was a protest on April 15 about taxes.  Even the spending stuff was secondary at that moment I believe.  Most anti-tax people are anti-government just by definition.

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on October 11, 2013, 10:41:38 AM
No, you guys really are whacky.

You guys are insisting that your caricature of the Tea Party is the real Tea Party, so you can more easily be outraged by it.

Which is ridiculous, because there is plenty to be outraged by without the need to create this Frankenstein tea Party that the people who actually identify themselves as "Tea Party" would never agree represents them.

But who am I kidding, I am tilting at windmills.

Why should I be outraged by the Tea Party?  They are just the same people that have always been there.  I am just going by what the Libertarian types themselves have been saying about it.  That they are just a minority wing in this deal.