The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on October 09, 2013, 07:15:26 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 09, 2013, 07:03:47 PM
Clearly he is a RINO.

If you are not full-on, Tea Party crazy, you are a RINO.

Just like Dems that are Blue Dogs aren't really Dems at all.
We've had those debates countless of times before, but party loyalty is not an unqualified bad.  Only too much or too little is bad.  I know it's hard to see why we need to have parties right now, given a low-level civil war in progress in our country, but they do have an important function.

The problem is that you defined "too little" as "any amount that does not result in people in my party voting against what I think they ought to oppose, or voting against what I think they should support".

And no, that is most certainly NOT "too little" when it comes to a decent chunk of the Dem party standing up against the Tea Party equivalent. Lucky for us moderates, that equivalent in the Dem party was very weakened by the demands of people like you (I am exaggerating - I don't think you are nearly as balls out crazy as the Tea Party wing of the Republicans) that they roll over to the radicals, and in fact the moderates won control (and then the Presidency and control of government).

Sadly, the Republicans went the opposite way, so now there is only one sane choice in US politics anymore.

On the other hand, it does kind of vindicate my stance on the importance of moderates, and the importance of the even not-so-moderates (but not balls out crazy) understanding that if the moderates are balking, it likely means you are trying to push something that most Americans are going to not be happy with.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on October 09, 2013, 07:10:53 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 09, 2013, 06:54:10 PM
DG's Christie haterade in 3,2,1.......
:huh: I don't buy his shtick, and I think that he's a liar and an asshole, but I don't find him particularly loathsome as a politician.

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Clearly he is a RINO.

If Democrats were as disciplined as the GOP, the state would have withered away by now.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

Just what important function to parties perform?
PDH!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 09, 2013, 07:37:41 PM
Organisation, coherence and choice. At a very basic level they're a symptom of thriving civil society.
Let's bomb Russia!

Darth Wagtaros

Choice in what?  Organization at this point seems to have won out over competence at making and executing policy or even vision.  Local elections are good only to gerrymander teh shit out of Federal districts, etc. 
PDH!

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on October 09, 2013, 07:30:21 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 09, 2013, 07:15:26 PM
Clearly he is a RINO.

We've had those debates countless of times before, but party loyalty is not an unqualified bad.  Only too much or too little is bad.  I know it's hard to see why we need to have parties right now, given a low-level civil war in progress in our country, but they do have an important function.

The problem is that you defined "too little" as "any amount that does not result in people in my party voting against what I think they ought to oppose, or voting against what I think they should support".

And no, that is most certainly NOT "too little" when it comes to a decent chunk of the Dem party standing up against the Tea Party equivalent. Lucky for us moderates, that equivalent in the Dem party was very weakened by the demands of people like you (I am exaggerating - I don't think you are nearly as balls out crazy as the Tea Party wing of the Republicans) that they roll over to the radicals, and in fact the moderates won control (and then the Presidency and control of government).

Sadly, the Republicans went the opposite way, so now there is only one sane choice in US politics anymore.

On the other hand, it does kind of vindicate my stance on the importance of moderates, and the importance of the even not-so-moderates (but not balls out crazy) understanding that if the moderates are balking, it likely means you are trying to push something that most Americans are going to not be happy with.
You weren't kidding when you said you were exaggerating.

DGuller

The same function that alliances serve in geopolitics.  It's a union of people that for the most part share the principles and goals, organized to further them more effectively.  That analogy also serves to show why too much or too little loyalty is a bad thing.  You don't want all of NATO to mobilize any time some shitty country on the periphery launches an ill-advised attack on another shitty country on the periphery.  However, you also don't want half of NATO to join Russia if it attacks Germany, because then you don't really have an alliance at all.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 09, 2013, 07:45:51 PM
Choice in what?
For the electorate. Vote Labour for this manifesto, vote Tory for this manifesto, vote Lib Dem for this palimpsest of lunacy.

QuoteOrganization at this point seems to have won out over competence at making and executing policy or even vision.  Local elections are good only to gerrymander teh shit out of Federal districts, etc.
I don't know what you mean about organisation.

The problem with the last bit is the system not the parties.
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

In the US? To enable each side of politics to arrange competitive elections in a first past the post system.
In the rest of the world? To develop advocate and implement policies. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

Quote from: Viking on October 09, 2013, 08:30:03 PM

And to send kids to political summer camps :D

That one still perplexes me a bit.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2013, 08:41:10 PM

Think of them like the religious summer camps that exist in the US.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2013, 08:41:10 PM

It's part of the local culture. Part of a long tradition of creating alternatives to politically motivated recreational activities from the other side. This particular camp is part of a nearly 80+ year old tradition which was a response to church run summer camps that did indoctrinate religion and later fascist style summer camps that did the same. The summer camp aspect of this has been lost for years. This is a summer camp which has morphed over time into being the annual convention of the labour party youth organization. Plus, it's not really a summer camp in the american sense. About 250 people camp out and socialize while each afternoon there is some discussion and/or workshop related to politics and in the evening a prominent politician comes and talks to the kids and after that they get drunk and have sex in the bushes.

Basically this is part of recruiting the next generation of politicians, not indoctrinating the sheeple.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

OttoVonBismarck

It looks like word is Boehner is going to the White House this evening with a six week increase of the debt ceiling with no conditions attached. No mention on a CR. I assumed a short-term "clean" bill was the only real possible outcome here. The President had drawn too deep a line on "no negotiations during the shutdown/threat of default", and the Republicans obviously have no ability to even get the President to negotiate if they funded government for a year or something like that. So short term legislation was really the only outcome I could see that would work for both sides. It'll be interesting to see if a negotiation actually happens during the window, or if we're just shut down again in six weeks.