The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on October 05, 2013, 12:47:37 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 04, 2013, 09:29:50 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 08:58:08 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 04, 2013, 08:36:52 PM
Do you really think Obama has decided which monuments will stay open and which will close?

Of course not.

Then why put this on him?

I admit to not reading most of this thread, so sorry if I'm going over well worn ground.

It seems as though these are decisions that would be made by civil servants, who would probably be conservative in their decisions. There may be some conservatism based on risk aversion. There could also be some spite involved (the public isn't going to pay me for a while, they can do without their monument). There could even be some turf defending (if I am a ranger overseeing a monument, I may see it staying open without me as a threat).

None of those seem political.

Yi didn't. :mellow:

I should have read more of the thread before posting.

I've heard of Republicans blaming Obama for this stuff, and read into some things Yi was posting so that I thought he was making the same arguments. My bad.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/04/politics/weather-service-cryptic-message/index.html?sr=fb100513weathermessage103a

QuoteHidden in National Weather Service forecast: P-L-E-A-S-E-P-A-Y-U-S

(CNN) -- Sometimes, it pays to read between the lines.

At least that may be the message --and, more accurately, the hope -- of workers at the National Weather Service office in Anchorage, Alaska.

The message can be found in an official forecast put out at 5 a.m. (9 a.m. ET) that seems, at first glance, routine with its discussion of air pressure, wind speeds and weather systems.

But if you line up the first letters of each word from top-to-bottom in the forecast, under the heading "Analysis and Upper levels," there's something else there: P-L-E-A-S-E-P-A-Y-U-S.

That breaks down into three simple words: Please pay us.

Meteorologists at the service's Anchorage office declined Friday afternoon to comment on the possibly cryptic wording, saying they can only speak about weather-related matters. It was not immediately clear who exactly put out the forecast or whether a message was intentionally tucked into it.

Still, it's no secret that National Weather Service employees -- like other federal government employees -- aren't getting paid as long as the government is shut down. That began Tuesday and there has been no indication that it will end anytime soon, with Democrats and Republicans holding firm on their positions that the other is to blame and that they won't budge.

Up to 800,000 federal workers are at risk of furlough, meaning they won't report to work until the sides agree on a spending plan that President Barack Obama signs into law.

Other federal employees are still working, because what they do is considered essential by the government. That includes many at the National Weather Service.

Whenever the shutdown ends, these government workers should get back-pay. But there's no telling when that will happen, meaning they could work for days, weeks or months before they take home a paycheck.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on October 05, 2013, 10:55:20 AM
But if you line up the first letters of each word from top-to-bottom in the forecast, under the heading "Analysis and Upper levels," there's something else there: P-L-E-A-S-E-P-A-Y-U-S.
:hmm: :huh:
:o

Syt

The combined monthly pay of all National Weather Service employees in Alaska is enough to feed katmai for a week.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: DGuller on October 05, 2013, 11:18:23 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 05, 2013, 10:55:20 AM
:hmm: :huh:
:o

:lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

Quote from: Syt on October 05, 2013, 11:23:32 AM
The combined monthly pay of all National Weather Service employees in Alaska is enough to feed katmai for a week.
<_<
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

lustindarkness

QuoteHouse votes to approve back pay for furloughed workers
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

11B4V

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 05, 2013, 12:26:26 PM

Quote(Newser) – For furloughed federal employees, annoyance has just turned into a paid vacation. The House of Representatives today unanimously passed a bill to make sure that everyone told to stay home during the government shutdown will get back pay, reports the Hill. The measure is expected to zip through the Senate and then get a quick signature from the president. "Today, 17 years ago, federal workers were given back pay after Newt Gingrich's record 21-day shutdown in 1995 and 1996," said Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md. "It was a fair thing to do then, and it is a fair thing to do now." (It's good news for those clever federal weather forecasters who made their plea in a hidden message.)

I want to be non-essential and get a paid vacation. The cops always get screwed. :cry:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

lustindarkness

Quote from: 11B4V on October 05, 2013, 12:29:21 PM

Quote(Newser) – For furloughed federal employees, annoyance has just turned into a paid vacation. The House of Representatives today unanimously passed a bill to make sure that everyone told to stay home during the government shutdown will get back pay, reports the Hill. The measure is expected to zip through the Senate and then get a quick signature from the president. "Today, 17 years ago, federal workers were given back pay after Newt Gingrich's record 21-day shutdown in 1995 and 1996," said Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md. "It was a fair thing to do then, and it is a fair thing to do now." (It's good news for those clever federal weather forecasters who made their plea in a hidden message.)

I want to be non-essential and get a paid vacation. The cops always get screwed. :cry:

Me too. I would spend the time on the trails, playing video games and catching up on movies.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on October 05, 2013, 12:29:21 PM

Good deal if you don't care when you get paid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: katmai on October 05, 2013, 12:02:44 PM
Quote from: Syt on October 05, 2013, 11:23:32 AM
<_<

You didn't think I'd let your comment in the baseball thread go unanswered? :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on October 05, 2013, 07:58:09 AM
Right. Leaving the site open but unguarded is the right thing to do!

Open and unguarded is the natural condition of monuments on the mall.