The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Malthus on October 04, 2013, 10:27:05 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 04, 2013, 10:18:20 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 04, 2013, 10:14:41 AM
If the GOP goes through this without losing some serious face, your politics are really fucked up.

So would you say that's something that would bother you Euro-types?   :)

I don't think that "bother" is really the right word for non-American reactions to the current crisis.

More like 'OMG, they can't really be that stupid ... can they?" with a side-order of concern that the stupidity in question may fuck up the world economy.

pretty much.

And frankly it should raise concerns about the respect Republicans have for the democracy in the States. The law they want go get cancelled has gone through all possible legal hurdles and has been voted in. Going apeshit "REVOKE IT ANYWAY!!!!" is stupid and dangerous.

Tamas

And lastly, if the "Republican moderates" fail to show their force now, they simply do not exist.

Grey Fox

The congress, acccording to the Daily show atleast, has a 90% incumbent rate. There will be no fallout for any of this.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

Tamas, that's pretty much how Americans - at least those who are looking at the bigger picture - feel, too.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

Tamas was a lot less uppity when he had the Romanian loon to tard out with.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2013, 10:40:55 AM
Tamas, that's pretty much how Americans - at least those who are looking at the bigger picture - feel, too.

What is odd is that the Republicans seem to be cool with it.

Or maybe it is like that old political quip:

"Candidate, you have the vote of every thinking American!"

"That's great, but I need a majority to win"
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Don't kiss up to him :angry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on October 04, 2013, 10:44:34 AM

What is odd is that the Republicans seem to be cool with it.

Or maybe it is like that old political quip:

"Candidate, you have the vote of every thinking American!"

"That's great, but I need a majority to win"

Not all of them. Even some of the staunch Republicans at the office are questioning their party.

Not that it matters in this state, but I think that there will be more than a few who either decide not to vote next election, or vote for another party.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 04, 2013, 10:45:30 AM

Am I wrong? Or are you too busy playing up your Languish persona today to give a reasoned response?

11B4V

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 04, 2013, 08:17:58 AM
Quote from: grumbler on October 04, 2013, 06:31:02 AM
Talking with some friends of mine who work for the government, I discover, to my amusement, that the "essential" employees are actually pleased and flattered that they are 'essential" and so have to continue to work, even though they can't get paid until the shutdown is over.  They consider themselves superior to the "non-esential" employees who are sent home and also won't get paid until the shutdown is over.

The fact of the matter is that the bureaucracy is using the tag of "essential" to deny a vacation to those workers they don't want to do without.  Some of the "essential" workers probably are essential, but a lot of them (like Congressmen and Senators) are not.

Yes, they all may or may not get paid, and who knows when, but in short: the non essential personnel are getting a paid vacation to play computer games while the essential personnel are at work. Makes perfect sense to me.

Hit the nail on the head.

Talked with 60 or so DLA warehouse workers yesterday that were none to happy. Why? They were not feeling superior, they were pissed for mainly two reasons.

1. the fuckers who will most likely get paid for sitting at home
2. those fuckers sitting at home are the ones who cut the paperwork that allows the workers to load and direct supply's.

Also ran into a group of rad workers who were pissed for the same reasons. They couldn't get dosimetry because the people who issue it were sent home as non-essential.

Want more direct examples?

You got some fucked up friends Grumbler.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2013, 10:47:15 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 04, 2013, 10:45:30 AM

Am I wrong? Or are you too busy playing up your Languish persona today to give a reasoned response?

I don't care if you're right or wrong.  Just don't do that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on October 04, 2013, 10:51:40 AM
2. those fuckers sitting at home are the ones who cut the paperwork that allows the workers to load and direct supply's.

LOL so what are they actually doing?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2013, 10:54:21 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on October 04, 2013, 10:51:40 AM

LOL so what are they actually doing?

Not sitting at home getting paid.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jacob

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on October 04, 2013, 10:43:11 AM
Tamas was a lot less uppity when he had the Romanian loon to tard out with.

One of these days I will copy the hardcore Democrat soldier stand of DGuller just so I can see you turn into a Tea Party fanatic just to be contrarian to me.

Ahole.