The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on October 01, 2013, 04:21:01 PM
How will it change if you find employment? Or does it change?

I'm sure if I'm offered better coverage by an employer--as most employer packages I've had in the past have always been better, what with shared costs--I would go with them.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 01, 2013, 04:22:30 PM
Also, I assume that includes the subsidy?

I knocked it up to silver, taking the subsidy into consideration for my 2013 income.  I'm not worried about the office co-pays as I am for the Rx co-pays, so that's what I'm targeting.

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 01, 2013, 04:31:44 PM
I knocked it up to silver, taking the subsidy into consideration for my 2013 income.  I'm not worried about the office co-pays as I am for the Rx co-pays, so that's what I'm targeting.

How much would the silver cost without the free money?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 01, 2013, 04:32:49 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 01, 2013, 04:31:44 PM

How much would the silver cost without the free money?

From what I saw this AM--site's clogged now, go fig--it would be a $133/month subsidy, so that would shoot it into the low $300s.

If I can get back in once the traffic drops, I'll copy and paste some of the packages.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 01, 2013, 04:32:07 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 01, 2013, 04:23:10 PM
Good for you, Seedy :hugz:

Oh, bullshit.   :P :P :P

Serious.  I think the overall program is a foolish disaster, but I'm glad you're getting some benefit from it.  COBRA sucks ass.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

ITS DESTROYED TEH INTRAWEB

QuoteWe are currently experiencing a high volume of traffic on MarylandHealthConnection.gov and we want to make the experience as positive for everyone as possible. Please check back later. We apologize for the inconvenience.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 01, 2013, 04:36:59 PM
Serious.  I think the overall program is a foolish disaster, but I'm glad you're getting some benefit from it.  COBRA sucks ass.

And how.  What a racket COBRA is.  Granted, I'm glad it's 18 months long, but it's hardcore extortion.

Admiral Yi

My understanding is that COBRA prices are what the insurer used to charge your employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 01, 2013, 04:39:41 PM
My understanding is that COBRA prices are what the insurer used to charge your employer.

Yep.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 01, 2013, 03:50:59 PM
Quote from: Zanza on October 01, 2013, 11:48:29 AM
I find it interesting that your labor laws allow the government to just not pay its employees anymore when it suits current policy.
There's conflicting laws. The laws regulating how the employees get paid can't trump the laws that say the government cannot legally spend money that hasn't been appropriated.

It's akin to a company that has a legal obligation to pay its employees, but has gone bankrupt and physically cannot because they lack money or even net assets they can sell off to make payroll. The company is dissolved and a great many people are unhappy. The U.S. Government actually has money in the bank account, but legally it's akin to that bankrupt company (at least when we're talking about non-essential employees), in that it can no more spend that money than a bankrupt company can spend money it does not have.
Yeah, but the fact that the money has to be separately appropriated is what's so silly.  Sure, it's legal, but the creation and practice of law is fundamentally evil.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 01, 2013, 04:38:18 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 01, 2013, 04:36:59 PM

And how.  What a racket COBRA is.  Granted, I'm glad it's 18 months long, but it's hardcore extortion.

Be glad your previous employer wasn't Raytheon.  My portion of my health benefits were $316/month; COBRA would have cost me $1264/month. 

CountDeMoney

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.